lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Seed For 2017

This year the early crop of tomatoes have been the best ever. So much that I decided to start the seed saving process early. Here are four that I picked: Clockwise starting top left = Gary O'Sena, Amos Coli, Cherokee Purple, and another Amos Coli.

I extracted seeds from the Gary O and the C Purple and have them cooking:

Asica

What did you put in the jar besides the seeds? How long you keep them like that and what do you do after that. I will not even tell you my technique :oops:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Asica wrote:What did you put in the jar besides the seeds? How long you keep them like that and what do you do after that. I will not even tell you my technique :oops:
Only thing I add is a little water. I watch it ferment a couple of days and then start shaking the jars a couple times each day. The seed will begin to drop to the bottom as they separate from the gel.
I pour off all the water and gunk that I can and pour the seeds into a strainer. I run water on the strainer to run off all the gunk I can. Then I place the seed on a paper plate to begin drying.
Each day I will fuss over them a bit with a spoon or knife, separating the seeds as best I can.
Once dry they go into a zip lock bag and into the frig.
I will test germination on a couple seeds from each batch.

Asica

Thank you for the great explaination.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We are getting ready to lose all the flat horizontal space in our house! The Cherokee Purple are starting to really roll in along with all the other varieties we are trying this year! Time to get my seed saving stuff out!

TomatoGirl

I've never seen seeds done this way. cool.
I honestly spread my seeds on a paper towel, let them dry out for a couple of weeks then pick them off. I've had good success with it. I had 100% germination this year.
I love to see different ways to do things though. What does the soaking do?

Lotte

It takes off the gel around the seed and then it can be stored for a longer time.Also no seekness is left at the seed.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Thanks, Lotte, for supplying an answer. I did not realize the question was posted.
My six year old grandson and I tested germination on the saved seeds on August 3, 2016

They sprouted great and were up-potted and new ones planted on August 15. Amazed it how they grew
Left are the Aug 3 plants, Right = Aug 15 (Picture was taken August 27)

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”