TomatoGirl

Fireworks Heirloom Tomatoes

Has anyone else grown this variety?
This is my 3rd year growing them, and I have never tasted a better tomato. Beautiful to look at, sweet, tasty..........ticks all my boxes. My friend had stomach cancer and cannot tolerate the acidity of tomatoes, but he has no trouble eating these.
Just love them!!
Attachments
firework.jpg

Asica

Very nice indeed.

TomatoGirl

Thank you. Definitely the prettiest tomato I grow and my all time favourite!!

applestar
Mod

GORGEOUS! I might have this variety but haven't grown it. There are two with similar names and I can't remember which one I have.

TomatoGirl

I've seen photos of fireworks with no yellow either. So not sure which is the true fireworks, but I highly recommend growing these. The flavour is to die for. Makes amazing bruschetta!!!

RadRob

That is a beautiful tomato.
Are you sure that's Fireworks, I just searched and it has a different description. Where did you get the seeds?

Here's what I found https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Fireworks

TomatoGirl

I got them from an eBay seed seller in the U.S.
I bought about 10 different heirloom varieties from him. All of them have been what they were supposed to be. To be honest, the name makes more sense with the yellow on it, as it really does look like an exploding firework.
Whatever it is, it's flipping delicious and definitely heirloom. I will continue to grow these every year.

TomatoGirl

Sorry. Messed up the reply.
Last edited by TomatoGirl on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoGirl

TomatoGirl

They are German. The German name is Feuerwerk which translates in to Firework.
If you Google Feuerwerk you will see the yellow and red. Maybe they are two different varieties?

RadRob

I found it on Tatiannas site, she has little info about them. I might have to try some of those next year. I like growing old types, sometimes you find a Gem you like more than others.

TomatoGirl

RadRob wrote:I found it on Tatiannas site, she has little info about them. I might have to try some of those next year. I like growing old types, sometimes you find a Gem you like more than others.
Oh good. I think there must be 2 varieties. Possibly the one without the yellow is a hybrid from this original feuerwerk, as it seems to be a pretty old variety.
Definitely try them. I guarantee you wont regret it. These are tomatoes to eat raw, even though they do make wonderful sauce. I can eat them with just a little sea salt on them. I can't wait for some fruit now. I had a bit of a set back as you know, but they are all budding or blooming currently. I normally have fruit in July from these. They are the first to fruit normally. This year the black cherries have them beat, so I'll be getting those first.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

TomatoGirl: can you post your location? I'm interested to know what your growing conditions are like where you live to see if I can grow it, because, thanks to you, I could water it with my drool alone... :wink:

TomatoGirl

I am in Ontario Canada. And If I can grow them here, you have to be able to grow them in Cali!!
Sorry about the drool lol :D

Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

man, what a beauty

from your description, it sounds almost like a bi-color kelloggs breakfast tomato....they are also very low on acid, so can be eaten by folks who are sensitive

I got to see if I can get some for next year....

/dave/

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Definitely growing 'em next year! :) I can't resist...gonna order some seeds now, in case I forget next year. Haha.

I think I tried one of these from a friend's garden quite a while ago, don't remember how they tasted, I just loved the look.

TomatoGirl

Thank you. It really is a striking tomato. I find I get very inconsistent shapes with them. I have a lot of double flowers on them right now. Those come out the very distinct heirloom shape. Otherwise they can be round or have a slightly pointed bottom. Whatever the shape, they are the nicest tomato I have ever eaten.
I highly recommend them.

Lonesomedave

and in looking for them I found a site that has both baby plants and seeds...not just fireworks, but dozens of tomatoes....really looks promising for next year

moderator....if it's ok, I will post a link.... just checking... :mrgreen:

/dave/

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Ooh, post the link, post the link, post the link! :-()

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Agree- post the link please :)!!!

webmaster
Site Admin

Keeping us in suspense? Drop the link already! :)

Lonesomedave

awrighty then..........just a warning....I have never done business with them and don't know if they are good or not....but they look REAL good, and I intend to to buy some things from them next year (including fireworks tomatoes.... :mrgreen: )

https://www.chileplants.com/tomato-plants.aspx

/dave/

ps...and they sell either seeds or plants for most varieties

TomatoGirl

Lonesomedave wrote:awrighty then..........just a warning....I have never done business with them and don't know if they are good or not....but they look REAL good, and I intend to to buy some things from them next year (including fireworks tomatoes.... :mrgreen: )

https://www.chileplants.com/tomato-plants.aspx

/dave/

ps...and they sell either seeds or plants for most varieties
The Fireworks they have here is not what I have. There are two varieties called Firework. Mine is from a German tomato which is called Feuerwerk which translated is Firework. But to buy seeds for this you will need to search for Feuerwerk. I only learned this recently as someone was having trouble finding it. It was sold to me as Firework. The name is correct, but strictly speaking should be referred to as the German Feuerwerk.

TomatoGirl

Lonesomedave

yeah...but we have a problem...I don't want seeds...I want baby plants.....thanks for the warning, but now I'm back at square one... :?

/dave/

TomatoGirl

Ah. Sorry. I can't help you there unfortunately.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

This one is certainly interesting one, great looking and there may be indeed few strains of it... As the Incredible Seeds store refers to is as acidic and fruity. I can't do to well with very acidic varieties, so if yours has more sweetness, and you saving seeds this year, I would be happy to offer something tasty in return for 2017...?

Regards,
D

TomatoGirl

Duh_Vinci wrote:This one is certainly interesting one, great looking and there may be indeed few strains of it... As the Incredible Seeds store refers to is as acidic and fruity. I can't do to well with very acidic varieties, so if yours has more sweetness, and you saving seeds this year, I would be happy to offer something tasty in return for 2017...?

Regards,
D
I don't find these acidic at all. In fact I have a friend who had stomach cancer and cannot eat tomatoes because of the acidity. But he can eat these with no problem at all. I have been giving him these tomatoes for 3 years now.
I'd do a trade with you if you like. What do you have?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

TomatoGirl wrote: I don't find these acidic at all. In fact I have a friend who had stomach cancer and cannot eat tomatoes because of the acidity. But he can eat these with no problem at all. I have been giving him these tomatoes for 3 years now.
I have not saved seeds for few years, so how about going back to the origins? These Feuerwerk were originally brought from Russia and introduced to wider population by Reinhard Kraft https://tomaten.bplaced.net/Tomatenfotos/anbau-2004.htm

The freshest seeds I can offer would be Reinhard Kraft's Chocolate Heart, Purple Heart or Green Heart (very few seeds left). Outside of his list, just what's growing this year (will be saving some seeds):

Bulls Heart Pink
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Chocolate Heart
Grubb's Mystery Green
Spudakee (PL version of Cherokee Purple)

All of my other seeds are 5+ years old, will start re-growing them slowly going forward to re-stock.

Regards,
D

TomatoGirl

Duh_Vinci wrote:
TomatoGirl wrote: I don't find these acidic at all. In fact I have a friend who had stomach cancer and cannot eat tomatoes because of the acidity. But he can eat these with no problem at all. I have been giving him these tomatoes for 3 years now.
I have not saved seeds for few years, so how about going back to the origins? These Feuerwerk were originally brought from Russia and introduced to wider population by Reinhard Kraft https://tomaten.bplaced.net/Tomatenfotos/anbau-2004.htm

The freshest seeds I can offer would be Reinhard Kraft's Chocolate Heart, Purple Heart or Green Heart (very few seeds left). Outside of his list, just what's growing this year (will be saving some seeds):

Bulls Heart Pink
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Chocolate Heart
Grubb's Mystery Green
Spudakee (PL version of Cherokee Purple)

All of my other seeds are 5+ years old, will start re-growing them slowly going forward to re-stock.

Regards,
D
I don't have any seeds right now, so it will have to be when I dry this seasons seeds.
I like sweet tomatoes, so pick which of this years are good and send me those.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Sounds good! I too prefer sweet tomatoes, so I'll be sure to find you the best from this season.

Regards,
D

TomatoGirl

Duh_Vinci wrote:Sounds good! I too prefer sweet tomatoes, so I'll be sure to find you the best from this season.

Regards,
D
Awesome :D

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”