RaresightFarms
Newly Registered

30 Heirloom Tomato Varieties this Year!

Hello everyone! We are growing a TON of heirloom tomatoes this year, and are really excited. We are doing one of each variety (I'd love to do 2, but we don't have the space) in containers. We did 3-4 varieties last year and it was great... and I have to say, Golden Nugget Cherry is just a trooper, nonstop production. Looking forward to see how things go this year!

Our tomatoes for this year are:

Bi/Tri-Color -
Ananas Noire
Big Rainbow
Golden Pineapple
Hilbilly Bicolor

Striped -
Pink Berkeley Tiedye
Solar Flare
Stripped Roma
Tigrella
Vintage Wine

Purple/Black -
Paul Robeson
Purple Calabash
Cherokee Purple

Green -
Cherokee Green
Emerald Evergreen
Green Zebra

Pink -
German Johnson

Orange -
Azoychka Russian

White -
White Wonder

Piriform/Hollow/Etc -
Pink Accordion
Red Pear Piriform
Reisetomate
Schimmeig Striped
Yellow Stuffer

Cherry -
Brown Berry Cherry
Indigo Blue
Isis Candy
Golden Nugget
Sunrise Bumblebee
White Cherry
Sweet 100 (I know, not an heirloom, but it snuck in.)

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Good for you. That is quite the ambitious list. I grew some heirlooms one year, about 7 different varieties. They were started early in a greenhouse and they did very well. I had heirloom tomatoes coming out my ears that year. I had too many of them, and they are expensive to buy, so I tried to give some to the folks at nursing home, but they wouldn't take them. Some kind of health dept rules. It was a shame that they woukdn't take them. I'm sure the residents would have enjoyed heirloom tomatoes.

applestar
Mod

Fun list! :D Some I haven't heard before 8)
I'm really looking forward to hearing about your tomatoes this season. Image

MichaelC

Here in the Santa Cruz area, I know there is some kind of program for dropping off excess fruit and vegetables for a food bank. Perhaps your area has a similar program?

For heirloom cherry varieties, give Matts Wild Cherry a try sometime. It was a massive producer for me last year - tiny, incredibly delicious fruits by the quart.

Good luck!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I am so busy that I don't have time for much of a vegetable garden this year. So I bought a tomato plant start today. I picked out a good one: a heirloom tomato called San Marzano. So my vegetable garden is very small this year, just 3' x 3' with 1 tomato plant.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Heirloom Tomato Salad Recipe

1 cup white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp finely chopped shallots
1 tsp honey
1-1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon, divided
1-1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1-1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes

I found this recipe in a recent issue of Coastal Living magazine.

Lotte

Lots of interesting tomatoes, I have grown some of them too and somethis year.I 'm also growing 1 of each sort but have 119 different ones.And a lot of other stuff too.

ladyhawke6281

Hello,

We are growing Heirlooms this year too. 153 to be exact, Cherokee Purple, Red Brandywine, Pink Brandywine, San Marzano, Big Rainbow, Mortgage Lifters, and Rutgers. Could you let me know how the Pineapple, White Tomato, and Hillbilly turn out? I thought about growing them next year, but wasn't sure how they would produce.

Thank you.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

ladyhawke6281 wrote:Hello,

We are growing Heirlooms this year too. 153 to be exact, Cherokee Purple, Red Brandywine, Pink Brandywine, San Marzano, Big Rainbow, Mortgage Lifters, and Rutgers. Could you let me know how the Pineapple, White Tomato, and Hillbilly turn out? I thought about growing them next year, but wasn't sure how they would produce.

Thank you.
Wow, that is a lot of tomatoes. I have the Cherokee purple, red brandywine, amos coli, lush queen, gary o' sena
Hybrids = Better Boy and Fantastic

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”