Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Re: Black Krim deformed - alternative??

Well, I have my first Black From Tula on the vine, and it is DEFINITELY deep shouldered and has some pretty severe cat facing!

I thought Black Prince had a really nice silky texture vs a slightly mealy texture of Black Krim. They still have that deep ketchup-y flavor that I've found to be common in the Black tomatoes. It's more of a plum shape, like a large Roma.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Black from Tula:

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks, Lindsay, for the info & photos of Black from Tula. Another one down in the no-catface stakes. The black/purples I'm trying this year are Indigo Rose and Paul Robeson (what a great name!) Can't wait to see what they're like; but for me that's still many weeks away - especially as I accidentally left the Robesons out on a frosty night and have had to re-seed. :(

imafan26
Mod

We have Cherokee Purple growing now. There was some catfacing but we had some unusually cold nights for us. Cherokee Purple is a large fruit with green shoulders but unless you pick them a little green, they pretty much will always crack.

Prudens Purple is another heirloom that is supposed to rival Brandywine in flavor but be more productive. Anyone tried it yet? I have seeds but haven't planted it yet.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I like Cherokee purple very much, for both flavor and texture, but it's not a "black" tomato. It is similar in flavor, slightly more acidic, but still ketchup-y. It is a darker tomato. My family, who still gets squeamish around anything other than red tomatoes, can definitely tell the difference! Haha! I think they're Supah Yummeh! And showy!

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”