rockey_f_squirrell
Newly Registered

anyone hear of baker creek heirlooms?

It is interesting that when I did a Google search of tomato types baker creek came first in results and had the best categorized web site, but in this topic no one mentions it.

rockey_f_squirrell
Newly Registered

OK those search words don't bring it up, I forgot the wording of my search but got that site from Google either way

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I think Baker creek is worth an order. I think Sandhill Preservation Project is too. Sandhill is about 1/3 cheeper...

imafan26
Mod

Baker does have some good seeds, although their selections are limited. You do have to consider what will grow best in your region, so you do need to do your research. Heirlooms may not have a lot of disease resistance, but some are surprising. I grew Brandywine ( I don't know which one, the package did not specify). I was told is may not produce since humidity makes the pollen clump. But it did fine but not without a lot of extra trouble. It was a large plant with a lot of leaves that were not resistant to fungal diseases so I had to spray them every week to keep it under control. The tomatoes are large which translates to not a whole lot of tomatoes and I had to wrap them to keep them from being stung by fruit flies and net the tomatoes to keep the birds from eating them. They were good though.

I did not think Baker seeds were that expensive when you take into account the seed counts. Some places were more expensive with fewer seeds and the cheaper places also have for the most part fewer seeds. TGN pumpkin nook was where I got the best prices for the seed counts, but they also have a limited selection.

Like Renee's Garden, Baker Creek is a family owned business committed to preserving old varieties that are tried and true, non-GMO if that is important to you. They both have trial gardens to test the seeds they sell and for the most part their seed selections have been good. Sorry, I just don't like radishes, or arugula.

bkop1996
Newly Registered

I have been using Baker Creek for 3 years now. Nothing bad to say. They ship within 5 days, (I live in Ohio) and their seeds seem to always have a very high germination rate (high 90's). The only seed that had sub-par germination was my celery this year, which celery is finicky to begin anyways. Still germinated around 70%.

I think they are a good choice if your looking for unique varieties, heirlooms, or Non-GMO varieties. Also I really liked their customer service. Timely and understanding people.

I would say go for it! And to expect an overall good experience with them. :D

Hope this helps,
Cheers!

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I agree on the tiny amount of seeds some places are offering, just to be cheaper.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Baker Creek sent me seeds overseas and per seed they were cheaper, with shipping, than the local seeds because I only get 5 seeds from the local guys. Their site is very well designed and easy to use and they are helpful. I would use them if I were you. Try other places too along the way. You will soon find your favourite.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I love their seeds too. Germination is always good. I also love reviews on their site. I can read about experiences people had with those plants.

Igotworms
Cool Member

yeah they are a good company. I use them.

rockey_f_squirrell
Newly Registered

Well I tried it out, planted seeds in little biodegradable containers and set them outside, I am in southern Illinois, an hour south of st Louis.

About 70% sprouted, I also made mini greenhouse boxes, with wood and industrial shrink wrap. I just put them in the ground today. I have 5 different types, and 5 of each type. So now I have to find more cages or try a Florida weave. So hopefully they take off

GrowMoore

I have ordered all my seeds from Baker Creek the last two years. Last year was the first time I tried growing everything from seed and I had a great germination rate. A friend and I get the catalog, decide what we want to grow and then we split the seeds between us. It has been a great way to try new things. I would recommend them.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

No real problems with Baker Creek seeds. They have on occasion sent wrong seed but that is a rarity and anyone can have that happen. It was hard for me to get past the goofy cowboy suit, the ultra-liberal politics freely sprinkled in with their business and the forum they sponsor that is a nasty place to visit. It has been several years since my last purchase so you can see the volume missed from me will not put them out of business. Best catalog going, a piece of garden art. I would rather send my seed orders to Sand Hill, Tatiana, Sample Seeds and Knapps.

Nomi44
Newly Registered

I know baker creek I get my seeds from them

Nomi44
Newly Registered

They have a shop in Petaluma, they are lovely people, extremely helpful, and politics don't belong here. The seeds are great!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

PaulF wrote:No real problems with Baker Creek seeds. They have on occasion sent wrong seed but that is a rarity and anyone can have that happen. It was hard for me to get past the goofy cowboy suit, the ultra-liberal politics freely sprinkled in with their business and the forum they sponsor that is a nasty place to visit. It has been several years since my last purchase so you can see the volume missed from me will not put them out of business. Best catalog going, a piece of garden art. I would rather send my seed orders to Sand Hill, Tatiana, Sample Seeds and Knapps.
Know exactly what you mean about both their politics & their gardening forum. Both a bit toxic - at least for me. But they've always done right by me the few times I've ordered seeds from them, & when mistakes were made they were quickly corrected along with a few packs of free seed.

Meatburner

I have had great success with their seeds as I have great confidence in the company. They are heirlooms only so keep that in mind. Will order again next year as I have for the past 5 years.

wiz1k2000
Newly Registered

I have used Baker's Creek in Mansfield, MO a few times. The first time I went there I spent like $160 dollars on seeds. I bought a CRAZY amount different seeds. They even threw in 3 as freebies and exchanged a watermelon seed because they were out of the one I wanted. The only tomato seed I'm having trouble with is Amana Orange. The package states "over-packed due to low germination rate - 50%"

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”