Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Heirloom Tomato Corner

We took out some of our Heirlooms from the Hoop House and put them on this bench. They were taking up too much room and the roots were almost going into the ground already! Here is a photo of them and some of our hot peppers on a bench in front of them! :-()
Attachments
Tomato_and_Pepper_Corner_Small_Photo.jpg

JC's Garden

Nice plants. Just curious, how large are the containers?

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Thanks! The buckets are 3 gallon :-()

feldon30

Countryladiesgardens wrote:Thanks! The buckets are 3 gallon :-()
Wow that's a small container for a tomato plant! I usually give peppers 3 gallons each, preferably 5; tomatoes get 10+ gallons. Please let us know how things go as far as watering and harvest!

JC's Garden

Countryladiesgardens wrote:Thanks! The buckets are 3 gallon :-()
That's about what I thought. Don't feel bad about the size. I have a San Marzano in one that's 10" diameter and 9" deep. I sat it on my black plastic border, right beside in ground San Marzanos. It's bearing fruit and keeping up with the others in height. The soil level is going down in the container so I'll have to add some well finished compost soon. No, I will not get as many tomatoes BUT it's more than I would have had. :)

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

These ones are just spill over from the greenhouse this year but last year we did them in 3 gallon containers as well. They were hard to keep fed and watered because they dried up nearly every day. We only got about 6 pounds a plant on the good ones but some tomatoes suffered blossom end rot even with abundant calcium possibly as a result of the infrequent watering. Our 5 gallon container tomatoes produced much better but this year for our nice plants we have gone with 6 gallons and up. :-()
Attachments
Here is a photo of our tomatoes and peppers in our Hoop House this year
Here is a photo of our tomatoes and peppers in our Hoop House this year

ladyhawke6281

Nice. Really impressive work. The size of the bucket is not as important as long as it is getting the right amount of nutrients and water. We have 153 tomatoes in 3 gallon buckets and peppers three to a five gallon bucket.

We use a hydroponic system (meaning we provide all the nutrients it needs) planted in a mixture of peat moss and pearlite. Keeps the roots loose and since the nutrients are all being provided and they don't have to go searching for them the roots are very fine. Nothing gets root bound.

They are doing very well.
Attachments
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”