kamas
Newly Registered

Are these seedlings destroyed? Germinated up to 10cm long!

Four or 5 days ago, I planted tomato seeds in containers, and kept them closed in a warm area. Today, I opened the container, and found them all germinated and growing very long, most of them are about 10 centimeters long! When I saw this I Immediately I put them under plant lights.

Are these plants going to die now? Do they have a chance to survive? Is it worth it trying to save them?
See the photo attached.
Attachments
Long tomato seedlings; 10 cm long
Long tomato seedlings; 10 cm long

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

If it were me, I would start over. They look way too spindly.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have never seen them get like that, at least that extent. I would start over it will only set back a few days.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I wonder how they will do? Try planting them, burying deep, maybe only leave a cm below the cotyledons. Tomatoes can be pretty resilient. You are going to resow anyway, what have you got to lose? Just a little potting mix, right? Let's see how they do. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I thought about that Julius but you would need big pots. Possibly a smaller pot with the stem zig zagged through it. But starting over would be easier. If it were me that is what I would do, doesn't make it right just my way.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you wanted to see if some could be saved, just out of scientific curiosity, I would plant them deep with just the leaves above ground. But if what you want is to get good healthy tomato plants, I would start over.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

And when you start over, as soon as they germinate and the first green begins to show, put the lights on them and have your lights an inch or so above the new seedlings so they don't stretch to find the light.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:I thought about that Julius but you would need big pots. Possibly a smaller pot with the stem zig zagged through it. But starting over would be easier. If it were me that is what I would do, doesn't make it right just my way.
I think you could get by with 4" seedling pots, and plant them with the stems carefully bunched, folded so you wouldn't need large pots. If you were careful and gentle, and didn't break any stems. I would try it just because I am curious. Oh, I guess you did say that too, by describing the zig zag, yes, that is what I mean also. :D
I would also start new ones for sure.

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”