Greywolf

Re: Heirloom Seed Supplier/Suggestions

In a video on YOUTUBE (GrowYourGreens) I saw a recommend for www.chiliplants.com
They have not only an eye popping variety of pepper seeds and live plants, but also several varieties of tomato, and they are where I got the seeds for the Cherokee Purple tomato's (heirloom) that I decided on for this year.

For seeds they have a minimum order of five packets, whether mixed variety or all the same kind but they have a good ordering system that uses PAYPAL and I had no trouble with that at all.

Out of 30 seeds I planted about a week ago, I now have 26 sprouts an inch tall from the tomato seed I got from them, so I would rate the germination success at about a 90% to 95% which is very good. Quite a few of them broke ground after only 48 hours.

I use premium Miracle Grow potting soil in wide flats without divider pockets. I don't like the roots to be crowded together in the pocket forms, and as they grow I move them to plastic cups with drain holes in a tray that holds water.
(Foil baking trays work well and are inexpensive) For single plants you can put a hole in the bottom of a plastic cup, take a second cup the same size and put a layer of gravel in it - then set the first cup inside it. That makes a quick and very excellent sprout cup with a water reservoir that you can see the water level in.

www.parkseed.com also has a lot of good plants but nothing like the variety of chili peppers at the site above, and most of their pepper offerings are hybrids, unlike chiliplants.com

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”