Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Maintaining heirloom tomatoes with out cross pollination

Gixx was nice enough to send me some heirloom dwarf tomatoes!! I do have a question though. Hot far apart physically should I keep the three types if I want to keep them pure?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You do know that is only relevant if you intend to save the seeds and grow them out the following year? Cross pollination does not affect the fruit produced this year only the seeds in that fruit.

But if you do want to save the seeds and maintain a pure line, best is to bag the flowers before they open and get pollinated. Next best is to plant them a quarter mile apart. Third best is to plant at least 25 feet apart with some barrier crop in between.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

That is the tentative plan. I have limited experience saving seeds :)

As I don't have a quarter mile or probably even 25 feet I'll try the bating of a few flowers to get te true fruit line :) what would be the best to do that with ?

applestar
Mod

Northernfox, I'm NOT trying to be a "stick in the mud." Just that it's all better described here:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 15&t=27803

When I post links, I'm not usually trying to be like -- "you should know this was described before"... More like "oh I remember seeing that somewhere ... Here it is! Take a look and see if this helps :D"

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Sorry I did not see the link posted on my Phone. Ill check it out thanks!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Organza (sp) bags work well. I got mine at a local craft store (Micahael's). I have strayed away from it though in my hot humid climate I lost more trusses with bags than not. Maybe I should have don't this earlier in the season.

If you can't find anything PM and I can send you a few.

Dono

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Hooped fabric-cover, well weighted down (on the edges) set out for two to four weeks will get you most of the way to where you want to get.

Wait till tomato is well in bloom and cut all the latter bunches for a following few weeks. Pick the first set for seed...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes as Tom said save seed from first fruit bagged or un bagged. That lessens the chance of a insect/wind blown cross.

I myself enjoy the bee crosses as many do. Save a lot of seed from several fruit/plants even if some are crossed chances are very high that not all of them are. Even within the same fruit, every seed in a tomato was pollinated separately. So it is possible to have true seeds and crossed seeds in the same fruit.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Grix I will go down to michaels and look for them. Thankyou! I have 4-5 types I want to do this with! I can't wait !

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You may have to ask where they are but you should find them in the wedding section. If it's anything like my Michael's every time I go there everything has been moved around. :lol: :evil: Get the biggest size, they are easy to use since they have a drawstring. Just put over blooms and cinch the top, simple.

Just go for the simple white they are the second from the bottom on this link.

https://www.michaels.com/Organza-Bags--S ... lt,pd.html

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thank you! I think my wife wants to go there today! I'll see what I can grab :)

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”