applestar
Mod

Kamatis Tagalog

This is a tomato variety from the Philippines. I got the seeds from Gixxerific who, I think, got them directly from a tomato enthusiast in Philippines who goes by screen name of Adobo at a different forum.

It's a funny looking tomato, flat and orbital with extensive fluting. The epidermis is clear and the flesh is red, resulting In gorgeous dark pink color with waxy shine when fully ripe. I started this one early, thinking tropical variety would be a late maturer, but it was one of the first to bear fruit and ripen.

Two on the left are normal fruits. Some of the megablooms try to make a semblance of spherical fruit by feat of contortion like the three fruits on the right :D
0bad9965ccd12c41d5f944aa2f7f39e4.jpg
b9cd8cea579d3f6cdb4cb232f1047123.jpg
...hmmm not getting the right color... I'll try to find/take more photos....:|
This looked closer to what I'm seeing....
This looked closer to what I'm seeing....

webmaster
Site Admin

Those are interesting looking tomatoes! Also interesting is how there are varieties associated with the Philippines and as far away as Russia, even though Tomatoes are a New World fruit. Wonder what story the DNA would tell.

Btw, Adobo is a member of our forum. ;)
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... p?p=182461

applestar
Mod

:oops: That's right! I'd forgotten and I didn't think to verify. :oops:

Thanks, Adobo! This one's a keeper. :D
... The shape and color are fantastic in themselves, but it's very tasty too. I'll add my flavor impressions to this thread soon. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

This showed up in my garden too. The birds brought the seeds from a neighboring plot. I was told it was a Filipino tomato. It is tough, nothing seems to bother it, and the vines are disease resistant. The tomato itself is good for stewing but too tart for eating out of hand.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That was a pretty good plant very productive even through my super heat wave last year.

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”