kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Question about New Growth... Red Vs. Green

I have 2 rose bushes, Baby's Blanket & Variegata Di Bologna roses that produce green color new growth, while all of my others produce red new growth...

Why is this?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Red leaves, especially on new growth, are nature's sunscreen. Bet those red leaves aren't as thick or sturdy as the green ones, right?

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Boy Kevin - you're really testing us aren't you?

Well in the spring, when new shoots come out, you might have also noticed that the new shoots are not just red, but white and red. The chloroplasts have not yet developed to start photosynthesis in these shoots. The new shoot growth is being supported by sugars converted from starches stored in the roots and canes.
As the shoots open and develop, the chloroplasts form, which are needed for the green coloring, so then the leaves and shoots turn green, and photosynthesis begins.
Some roses are quicker at this than others, so that is why you see red shoots on some roses, and green shoots on others. It does not effect the health of your rose in any way. Not to worry! :wink:
VAL

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

That's good, I just wansn't sure if it had something to do with maybe different species.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Does. Have you noticed Japanese maples are sometimes green, sometimes red, somtimes in-between? Same with roses, perennials, etc. Lots of new growth in the plant world starts red, and gets green as the leaf gets older and develops...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”