grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No problem Scott!
Rosy and I have discovered that we have very similar growing circumstances, and it's kind of cool to be able to chat with someone that shares the same type of problems. 8)
She and I have a standing agreement that anything I think should be in the forums, I will post there - hope that's okay! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That'll be just fine... 8)

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Great! 8)
VAL

Rosy disposition
Newly Registered

Hi all! I just wanted to tell everyone that I did very well at the Fair with the roses. Perfume Delight won 1st place as well as the John Cabot shrub rose. The yellow rose, Irish Gold, took 2nd Place.

The advice I received from Grandpa Rose definitely paid off. I am planning to enter again in the 2nd entry this Wednesday. The weather has been much cooler this week so I am hoping the buds that are starting to bloom out on the Irish Gold rose do not have pinkish edges.

Wish me luck!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Congratulations Rosy!! :D I have been thinking of you and wondering how your roses made out.
Another thing you could try to keep the edges from turning pink on the edges of your Irish Gold is sheltering the bush with some shade with an umbrella or a tarp, so that it stays a little cooler - if it's not going to slow down the timing of your bloom of course!

I'm so glad it worked out for you and you are pleased with your results! Best of luck on the next round, and let us know how it goes! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Congratulations! :D

We have gotten a few awards recently ourselves and know that happy glow that comes with being told you are exceptional. Your diligence was apparent to all of us and it's nice to see that diligence does, ocasionally, pay off... 8)

Again congrats...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey Rosy! Just wondering how you made out on your next showing? Did your Irish Gold do it's best for you? Let us know how you did! :wink:
VAL

Rosy disposition
Newly Registered

I guess I got all caught up in the moment and since I did so well I did not fret any longer. I received a total of 11 ribbons at the fair this year. 7 alone were from the roses. In the 2nd entry the Irish Gold rose took 2nd place again. Perfume Delight and John Cabot both took 1st. I have entered my roses in the fair here for about 7 years now. There is one person who takes grand champion EVERY year. This year I found out who he is...the President of the rose society for Alaska, Charles Decker.

Watch out Charlie, next year I am gonna get ya!

Now my sights are set on next years crop. I will diligently follow the advice of Grandparose and winter them over as she suggested. The temps are getting much cooler now in the low 30's and highs in the low 50's. Snow is right around the corner.

I would like to thank everyone for their advise and support. Next year is going to be exciting!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Rosy, that is excellent! Good for you! I'm so glad you did so well. I was wondering when we didn't hear from you what had happened. You just stay right on Charlie's rear and you'll get there!!! :D
I have written a few articles on winter care of roses in this forum that you should definitely take a look at for your roses. Don't do any wintering of your roses until you have a few good heavy frosts.
Sounds like your weather is about like ours is right now. Very foggy mornings, and drippy, heavy dew on everything. My dahlias have been touched so they're black now, but so far everything else is doing okay. This is the time of year I get disheartened with it all and sort of give up, so I have to kick myself to get the winter stuff done. I hate to think that it's all over for another year.
Great to hear from you and your successes! Keep it up and keep in touch! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Way to go Rosy! :D

Next year is coming; Plan your work and work the plan...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”