MsLily
Newly Registered

Roses are wrong color

I have been growing roses for a few years now and never had any problem until now. In April I moved into a new house and so I purchased new roses. Tiffany, Granada and Sterling Silver. They are growing and blooming wonderfully. The problem is that not a single one of them is the correct color. Tiffany has a red bud, it is supposed to be a pale pink. Granada has a stunning white rose on it, not the striking rosy pink and gold I was expecting. And Sterling Silver, well at least it is still in the purple family. Only it is a deep dark ruby purple, not the pale silvery lavender I hoped for. Can anyone please tell me what on earth happened here? They are all gorgeous roses...they are just not what I purchased. I feed with Bayer Systemic and they all get plenty of sun and water. Thanks for your thoughts. :)

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

It is a weird how we posted the same question within a short period of time.

My inital thoughts are maybe the grower / store where you got the roses from might have mis-labeled the pots. I have seen this happen before.

However, I have posted a simular question for Granpda Rose, HG or someone to answer. In my case, the J&P tag, pot, & Instructions all have the same name on them. So I am thinking in my case it might be lack of something cause. I know there is something missing that you can add to help with the color of the roses.

We shall see what the great minds can think up of, to help us in our problems.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Well MsLily, it sure sounds like a bunch of mixed up roses to me!!! :roll:

You're right, Tiffany should be a pink rose, with a hint of salmon, petal backs that are paler, and a yellow blush near the centre.
Granada, is definitely not white! It is a varying mix of orange, gold, pink and yellow.
Sterling Silver is a very light mauve.

I'm not sure where you got your roses, but in your case, I think that mislabelling is the culprit.

If you would like more in depth information, I have just answered Kevinshoppe's post titled "Manipulating the Color" which is a very similar question as yours.

Sorry I can't give you any better answer than that - hope you can either get a return on the bushes or your money, and if not, try to enjoy them a little! :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

MsLily
Newly Registered

Thanks for the quick responses. I am thinking mislabeling as well. I bought them at Wal-Mart and they are packaged under the brand name Heaven Scent. I would raise a stink *no pun intended* but lost the receipts..so I am just enjoying them..no matter what odd colors they decide to be.. :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Big boxes are where growers send the odd balls, row ends (where two varieties meet in a field, often mixing) and other mistakes. Yet another example of why to shop at your local garden center...

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yep, as soon as I saw "Walmart" need say no more! :roll:
If you want to have roses that you can count on, visit your local garden centre. They will have brought in roses that will survive in your area, and also back up your purchase. Also, your money stays in your community instead of some big corporation!
Like you said though, just enjoy the roses! :wink:
VAL (Grandpas's Rose)

Return to “Rose Forum”