kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Mary Magdalene Rose David Austin

I have had trouble with my Mary Magdalene rose since I brought it back from Tyler Texas. It lost 90% of it small leaves, and the new leaves that it has grown are beginning to shrevel up. Is this because of the Texas Heat? I got it up in a Zone 8A, and I am in 8B. Is there that much difference between Tyler & Montogmery?

Does anyone have any info about the Mary Maddalene Rose? What is it's Deiease Rating, cold hardniess, Heat tollerance? Has anyone else tried to grow this rose?

Thanks-

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Mary Magdalene is a shrub rose, that is known to flower prolifically, but is not a very vigorous grower. It can also be prone to mildew.
I don't know how long ago you move this rose, but it sounds to me like it has either gone into shock, or is either lacking in water or had too much water. Check your soil down deep, to see how wet it is. The difference in zones will not matter.
Also check the stalk and stems of your rose for any signs of a wound or canker that may be weakening it.

Have you added any nutrients to the soil when you planted it? When planting a new rose, you should be adding lots of compost, manure, kelp, fish, alfalfa meal, leaf mould, epsom salts, etc. to the soil. Also try giving it a drink of fish emulsion, or alfalfa tea.
Hopefully it will pick back up. Let us know how it goes! :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

What's your soil like down there?

Scott

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

HG- My soil is Gumbo... Sometimes I use Gybsyn to soften the soil too. Well It looks like I have lost this rose... I tried that stuff listed above, and the other plants love it, but this rose has no growth.... Eveything is brown.... Any more ideas?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Don't give up hope yet Kevin! Down near the bottom of the trunk of your rose, scratch a little of the bark away from the stem. If you see green in there, your bush is still live. Trim it back to where there is still green showing in the branches and trunk, and continue to give it tender loving care.
I suspect since you describe your soil as "gumbo" that it is probably a little heavy for your rose. When you get heavy soil like this, water tends to sit in it for a long while before drying up, or seeping through. Roses like to be watered deep, but do not like to sit in water. You may want to try adding some amendments to the soil to make it a bit lighter. Try adding some compost, maybe sand, leafmold, manure, anything with a lot of humous to it to lighten it.
Hope there is still sign of life there Kevin. Good Luck! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Clay soil is not a fav of roses; I'm with Val on the soil amending and best of luck...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”