kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Can a rose color be Manipulated?

I have a Baby's Blanket that is suppost to be pink, but is coming out white. They only thing I can think of is that it is like a Mary Magdalene where it is a faint pink....

Does anyone else have this rose? What are your thoughts?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I have not had this rose, but Baby Blanket (aka Sommermorgen)is described as a groundcover shrub rose having pale pink flowers, with dark pink petal backs with frilly edges.

If yours doesn't have this description of flowers, it may have been mislabelled either at the garden centre where you purchased it, or by the grower themselves. This does happen once in a while. :roll:
In that case you have what we all end up with once in a while - a mystery!! :o
Did you get yours this year? If so, and you still have the identifying markers on it, you could try returning it if you don't want to keep it. :wink:

VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Well, it is a J&P, and that is what the J&P metal tag, the information paper (the thing telling you how to grow them) & the pot all say the same thing.

It's a Baby's Blanket Tree rose...

I was just wondering... I have several other roses that are like that...

My Logerfield rose is a faint purple, not as dark purple like I see on the internet.
My Don Juan is pink center with a red tips.
My Tropical Sunset isn't as distinct Yellow/Orange Stripes as I see others....
My Broadway orginally had 3-4 different colors, and now it's more of a blend of a few....

Don't I need to add more Nitrogen or is it Pholphersis for color?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Kevin!!
For the most part, the color of roses is inherited at the time of breeding. However, there are a few factors that may influence the color of your roses.
One is temperature. Some roses will lighten in hot weather, and darken in cooler weather.
Another is time. The rose Double Delight, for example, has alot more crimson in its coloring in the mid summer, as it needs the sun to bring out the red. Then it gets much paler in the fall, when the sun is less.

Sometimes roses can be a little unstable in the first year of planting. Almost like they are learning to walk or something, and won't really show their true colors until they are more established.
The graft on the rose may have also died out, and the rose that is blooming is actually the plant from the root it was grafted on.

Phosphorous doesn't really effect the coloring of your roses, but the health and size of the flower. Iron sometimes will influence the tones of the oranges and reds. Nitrogen does not have any effect on color.

Even though your rose has all the appropriate tags, and labels, etc. does not mean it still could not have been mislabelled by the grower. The roses are tagged at the time they are dug up, and from then on, the tag is the identifier, so everything would just copy that. So if the rose got the incorrect tag in the first place in the field, then it will stay that way all the way to the garden centre! :roll:

Tree roses should not be any different color than their original rose type. They have just been forced to grow in a different way.

As for your specific varieties:
It is actually "Lagerfeld", and it should be a pale mauve, with silver wash on the tips, with cream towards the centre. The backs of the petal are a bit darker in color. The photo you saw on the internet may have had a number of things influencing it's tone, like lighting, shade, development of the photo, etc. and cannot be counted on as the true color.
Don Juan should be a deep red. The only clue might be that one of it's parents is New Dawn, which is pink. Or you may have a totally different rose. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you have the pink and red.
Tropical Sunset is supposed to be a yellow rose splashed with orange, making it appear striped, although not in a defined stripe pattern. The underside of the petals remain yellow. Later, the rose will fade to cream, with crimson splashes. There is no exact pattern for the splashes, so some roses will have more distinct stripes than others.
Broadway is actually a bi-color. It is a yellow rose, with brushed pink tinges that darken with age. The rose then fades to cream and light pink.

As with all things on earth, we are not all perfect, and our roses will not always be exactly perfect every time either.
Hang in there, and try and enjoy the beauty of the roses, even if they're not quite what you expected!!! :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thank you for your expertise Val...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Never a problem!! It's Cool! 8)
VAL

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

About the color of roses...

This is a Babys Blanket, according to the picture, it should be pink, instead it is white. See photo below. Does anyone think this is maybe a pale pink?

[img]https://info.conroeisd.net/~kschoppe/Baby's%20Blanket%20Tree%20Rose.jpg[/img]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Okay, Kevin, it's pretty pale alright. I think I do see a slight hint of pink though. :wink:

I did some investigating on this one for you as well. I looked at a ton of pictures that were all Baby Blanket, and not one was the same color! They ranged from a light medium pink, to so light pink it was almost white. So it doesn't seem to be a rose that is consistent with it's color. :?

Baby Blanket is a shrub rose, with double small flowers, and a light fragrance.
It was bred by W. Kordes in Germany in 1993 (and guess what - he was trying to get a yellow rose!!). It's parentage is Weisse Immensee X Goldmarie, and there are 169 roses in it's bloodline.
It has won the Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society,
the Glasgow Certificate of Merit, and the Royal National Rose Society Gold Medal.
Baby Blanket is also known by several names: KORfullwind, Sommermorgen, Oxfordshire, Summer Morning.

So Kevin, I'm not sure what to tell you, except I guess enjoy it for what it is, or get a different one. :wink:
VAL

Return to “Rose Forum”