cmleeiii

cuttings from roses

I am struggling with trying to get rose cuttings to root. I have tried to get them to root in water and in soil(used root tone with the soil attempt) to no avail. can anyone give me some pointers or tell me what I may be doing wrong? thanks so much

pd

cmleeiii

Propagation by cuttings is fine for climbers, ramblers and other strong growing roses.
Select strong mature wood of the current seasons growth. Prepare about 24cm in length, cut straight across at the bottom end and at an angle just above a bud at the top - this reminds you which way up to insert them.
Make a slit trench about 18cm in depth in a sheltered area of your garden and line the base with sharp sand. Set in the cuttings about 8cm apart and back fill the trench treading the soil in firmly. Leave until the following autumn when they can be lifted and planted in a nursery bed to grown on before transferring to their final positions 12 to 18 months later.

[url]https://www.raffia.plus.com[/url]

cmleeiii

so I should be cutting the woody part of the plant? I have been cutting green, very close to where it branches off from the woody part, the main trunk, whatever you may call it. apparently this method is not working for me :(

pd

That is correct cmleeiii and I apologise for not adding that you take your cutting from mature stems in the autumn to early winter. In the UK October and November

pd

Oh! and forget about trying to root in water. Very few plants can be propagated succesfully this way and those that can will not produce roots of the type suitable for an organic growing medium. They need to be carefully weaned from the water to the soil and that is when problems occur. An example of an exception is the Impatiens which root in water and transfer fairly easily. Those that do root in water are far better inserted into a compost and a plastic bag placed over the pot to create a close atmosphere while rooting takes place.

cmleeiii

thanks so much...I guess I will tell you how it goes in a few months!! :P

lauren123
Newly Registered

sorry to interupt the current topic of conversation but I was just hoping for some help. I have just moved out of my parents home into my first house and want to learn how to care for the plants I have bought. firstly, I bought a white rose plant the other week which seems to be covered in black flies - am I right to spray this with soapy water? and also, can anyone recommend any decent secateurs to prune these and my other plants. I have been looking at a pair https://www.ambertools.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=15117 but obviously I have never purchased any before.

thanks

pd

Hi lauren123 - Looking at the secateurs I can't really comment. The form of the blades is one that I've not come across before. The two types I've used are anvil and parrot. In the former the cutting blade comes down on a flat piece of metal and if the cutting blade is not kept very sharp it can crush and cut softer wood which is not a good thing. The latter; cross cutting parrot beak shaped blades are the ones I personally prefer. These vary in price, one of the best being Wilkinson Sword and at the budged end ones from Lidl supermarket. You don't say where you are but the http you posted being in pounds sterling I'm assuming UK.

Yes, I would certainly apply soapy water; at a strength you would normally use for washing up dishes. More than one application will be required.

Tony201600
Newly Registered

Hi there,

I am in Sydney, Australia and took a challenge to propagate roses using cuttings.

I obtained a handful of lush cuttings from my parent's garden after they sold their property some weeks ago. It would have been a sin not to take the cuttings knowing how much love, patience and dedication went into growing them.

The cuttings were submerged into a bucket full of water for almost 2 weeks. The bucket was not covered and being in Sydney the heat and moisture helped in producing some humidity. I kept a regular check on them and they looked in impeccable health. No sign of 'death' or decay. After about 2 weeks I took them out and stripped them off their leaves etc... ready to transfer them into a garden pot filled with rose grade soil. Each cutting was inserted into its pencil deep hole in the same pot. The pot is under a tree where the cuttings do bathe in sunlight for about half a day. I regularly watered and fertilsed them as well but didn't use any root hormone or the like nor any other technique or strategy.

Four weeks later and to my heart sinking despair the once healthy green stems have now turned into a dark brown stick. I pulled one out today to inspect and it seems that it has almost decayed. The full length of the cutting is a dark brown almost black color. I doubt there is any form of life left in it. The other cuttings are also showing some signs of irreversible damage.

I have attached a photo or two to show the extent of damage. I am really grief stricken to see them dying away. These were really exquisite plants. Can someone please advise what I need to do. I may have a cutting or two that appears to look ok but I am not going to risk them dying as well.

Thanks and kind regards,
Tony
Attachments
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

You left them in the bucket of water too long. All I can suggest is going back to the house and asking to take more cuttings. Put the new cuttings in a pot with potting soil in it as soon as possible after cutting. The faster you can stick them in a pot the better their chances of rooting. Water the cuttings well and keep them shaded and moist until they start growing well. Don't fertilize cuttings. They can't use fertilizer until they have roots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This is the same cuttings you wrote about here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 71#p400071 ?

You already got a couple answers about them... .yes you left them in the water way too long, yes you had them in way too much sun, yes you really need a humidity dome for them.

Start over.

Return to “Rose Forum”