JennyC
Green Thumb

Pic: Cabbage roses up a tree

Thought you guys might enjoy this. Someone planted cabbage roses here a long time ago, it seems. They're growing up in the trees next to the garden fence. I took these a couple of weeks ago; there's lots more blooms now. This one shows how far up they are!

[img]https://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/crispwriting/PICT0114.jpg[/img]

Here's a zoom so you can see the flowers a little better (they really are way up there!):

[img]https://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/crispwriting/PICT0112.jpg[/img]

doccat5
Green Thumb

They are lovely, Jenny! Thanks for sharing :)

cheshirekat

Those are great. Do cabbage roses come in pink?

JennyC
Green Thumb

They do come in pink; I've seen the pink more often than true red. Even the ones in the picture are actually a very dark pink, though they look red in the shot (and from the ground in general).

cheshirekat

I'll have to look into those cabbage roses. I'd love to see pink roses in the trees in the front yard. Pink is my favorite color. I just started growing roses this year - rosa rugosa. They bloomed just this morning.

Do you have any photos of the rose bushes you can post? I'd love to see more of them.

JennyC
Green Thumb

I'm not sure I can even get to the base of the plants to get you a picture. We're so overgrown here that I'm "clearing" only in the regular people paths for the moment; I can't tell what's here, and I don't want to cut without observing closely, you know? And it's such a huge job. So. I've seen the base of this particular vine in winter (and it is more vine than bush) -- it's about 2 inches in diameter. If you were to plant climbing roses, they might well eventually climb a tree for you, but it could take many years.

How many years? Well, here's my thoughts on that. If I were to guess, I'd say these roses were probably planted next to the garden fence, probably in hopes that the roses would grow on the fence. Given that, I bet they were planted around the time the fence was put up, with an eye toward both strengthening and beautifying the barrier. Now, this fence has a peach tree and several walnut trees growing along it, and in places the wood of the trees has completely enclosed the metal of the fence where the two were in contact. In other words, fence, trees, and (probably) roses have been there a long time.

Another consideration: the health of the tree. The big trees seem fine (that's a walnut the roses are in, in fact). But I'm going to have to make a hard choice between another ancient climbing rose and a big fig tree in the next year or two; the roses are really weighting down the tree and are shading most of its canopy. So you want tall (erect, not spreading like a fig) trees to try this.

Return to “Rose Forum”