CharlotteBart
Newly Registered

Need advice for rose bush replacement

Hi there,

One of my hybrid tea rose bushes died last year. I was hoping to find the same but I don't know its name. I managed to find a photo I took a few years ago, please see the attached image, the rich pink color is very solid despite the flower fading away, its color still remains the same. I would appreciate it if someone could help me identify it or recommend a close one. I found some images on the internet, like perfume delight, pink peace and Miss all American beauty, but can't be sure. Thank you very much in advance.
Attachments
Unknown rose.JPG

PaulF
Greener Thumb

No idea of your location but roses grown in a similar zone always seem to do better than those that come from someplace distant from your area. Roses from Oregon or Florida never thrive in the upper mid-west. Just an observation.

CharlotteBart
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply. The image I posted is not a good one, but it's the only one I could find. My location is in Southern California Zone 10a. Any suggestions? Thanks.

imafan26
Mod

You can try a plant id app like PlantNet. There are other apps, some are free, some paid. It will usually tell you the plant, but the exact cultivar might still be a guess. It is hard to tell what your flower is without other details. Like describe the fragrance, petal count, bud form (urn or ovoid), leaf color and texture (leathery, matte, or glossy). plant height etc.

It does look like Miss All American Beauty aka Maria Callas. 5 inch blooms. Large leathery leaves 4-5 ft tall. old rose fragrance. color deep pink, long stems

My other choice would be Pink Peace. color bright pink,60 petals, 5-6 ft tall, mid length stems, strong fragrance. Repeat blooms.

Maria Callas has a more classic urn shape. Pink peace more ovoid.

Too bad you only had one picture of this rose and it was already aging. It is hard to tell what the form or color was as color also changes with age. Petal count and fragrance also helps.

There are so many rose cultivars that even in a current catalog, not all cultivars will be offered as new ones are always coming out. Even if you cannot find the exact rose, there will be others you will fall in love with.

CharlotteBart
Newly Registered

Thank you for your advice. It’s true that there are so many beautiful roses out there, I just feel reluctant to lose this rose as it was planted 30 years ago.

I tried Pl@ntNet, and it identified my other flower: snapdragon.

imafan26
Mod

I am lucky to have a rose last 10 years, but Simplicity did last from 1990 to about 2020. It may have left earlier, because I think what was growing was root stock, because it gets very tall, but I have only seen it bloom once. I usually keep the tags on my roses. I did lose a couple of the tags but most are still there. One of my roses was mislabeled. It was packaged as Angel face, but it was Tiffany instead. Now, I have 2 Tiffany roses. I did lose the tags from the miniature roses but the tags were not very durable. I am surprised they are still alive. I did not expect them to last this long. Since then, when I get roses with a plastic tie, I switch them to copper wire tags. I don't have a lot of roses since I only have so many places to plant them. I have 7 in the front yard and another 4 in containers. I only replace a couple of roses at a time, so it isn't hard for me to remember their names, and they do have their tags as well.

CharlotteBart
Newly Registered

Thank you imafan26 for sharing. I didn't know that roses have a limited lifespan, I thought they died from certain diseases. My rose died because of a human error.

In the end I replaced the original rose with pink peace which happened to be sold at my local store, a bareroot rose but it had already developed a lot of leaves. I know it is very tiny compared to my previous rose, but this young one is doing quite well, the rose buds appeared in mid April and now they are blooming! The image looks a bit like dusty pink, but the actual color is brighter.

I am very pleased that my new rose turns out fine, looks pretty and healthy. And I would like to share it with everyone here.
Attachments
Pink Peace.jpg
Last edited by CharlotteBart on Sat May 20, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

I have had pink peace and It is a very good rose. Roses are not suited for my hot and humid climate so I look for roses with glossy leaves. They have better disease tolerance than roses with Matte leaves. It is one of the reasons why 10 years is a good life span for a rose in my climate. They can live longer but the shrub and species roses live longer than hybrid teas for the most part. I have a couple of red simplicity roses from 1990, only thing is that all that is left is the rootstock, the grafted rose is gone.

It can be hard to get a rose that was not awarded as rose suppliers keep changing their stock as new roses are developed.

My favorite rose right now is Francis Meilland. It is a very tall hybrid tea with long stems. Maria Callas aka Miss All American beauty is also a long stemmed rose with classic shape and bigger than peace, but has a higher petal count than they rose you had.

Return to “Rose Forum”