FloridaRosesJay
Newly Registered

Rooted clipping from climbing rose now around 5 years old and won't bloom

Hi everyone first off thanks for any help in answering this question in advance, as I am still new to gardening I have some experience with roses and vegetable gardening.

My now close to 5 year old climbing rose that I rooted from my old house which was a 9-10ft tall climbing rose red in color big fragrant blooms. But for some reason ever since I moved into our new home and brought a rooting from the climbing rose, it stunted the growth in the soil I had it in, note this is NW FL beaches so it has some sand soil mixed in but we live right beside a fresh water lake, the plant has since been divided into three separate climbers. One I gave to my brother to have at his house, the original stalk I have in our front yard it is not close to 15 ft tall and bushed around 4 ft but I have not since seen this rose bloom after I transplanted the rooting. The climbing rose looks and seems healthy in all ways there are some dying leaves but if anyone knows the answer it would be much helpful. As to why my climbing rose bush won't bloom. Have been fertilizing for close to 3 months now and no success with buds or blooms.

imafan26
Mod

Even tough you live near a fresh water lake, if you live anywhere close to a coastline and you have a sand based soil it could cause issues. Most roses are salt sensitive a few cultivars may have some salt tolerance. Roses are acidic plants they don't like coral or sandy soils for the most part because the base is alkaline.

If you don't live anywhere near the ocean, or at least a mile away, you can try to put the roses in urns. In large urns you can control the pH of the soil in the pot. I use tree pots or 18 gallon containers. Elevate the pot on a platform to make sure it has no contact with the ground. Use a good potting soil or I make my own. 1 part peat moss, 1 part perlite plus about 2 tablespoons of osmocote per 5 gallons of mix. Mix in 2 cups of a complete plant food with micronutrients. You can use rose food, tomato food, citrus food or an all purpose food if it contains micro nutrients. I use fertilizers with low numbers. Nitrogen on most products are 10% or less and I use citrus food 6-4-6 with micros because it has slow nitrogen and I have way too much phosphorus in my soil. Phosphorus and potassium max of around 12-15%. if you use higher numbers you will need to reduce the amount that you use. Roses should be side dressed with each growth cycle. I don't know about climbing roses, I only have HT and landscape roses that bloom in 6 week cycles. Prune after blooms to encourage new growth, feed it again. In a container, the soil will get old, so plan on repotting or changing out the soil every 2-3 years. Osmocote is for maintenance so about 2 tablespoons Mar, June, September in addition to the maintenance fertilizer (same as the starter) or water soluble if you want to go that route instead. Depending on the kind of container you need to water as needed. Containers require more water than plants in the ground. If you forget to water, the plant is unable to tap into resources in the ground. If you over water a poorly drained or container that does not breathe well, the rose will rot.

Bottom line, in a container you need to provide for all the plant needs, soil, air, light, temperature, nutrients, and water.

Return to “Rose Forum”