kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Strong Winds, Broken Tree Rose

We had a bad storm blow through yesterday, and broke my Princess Diana Tree Rose at the the base of the plant.

My question is, can I heal this plant by grafting it back? If so what type of tape should I use? Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks-
Kevin

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That green nursery tape (that stretches some) is the best thing I've seen...

Read up on that grafting process; it's tricky and this isn't exactly the time of year...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I have never grown tree roses, but it wouldn't hurt to try grafting it back. Be sure to keep your joint moist, and not let it dry out though. :wink:
VAL
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Is it broken clean off, Kevin?

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

It's is not broken off clean, Think more of mangeled, shreaded.... I staked the heck out of it, 4 stakes total, Green strech tape at the break, and I have been keeping my eye on it.

Should I consider wrapping the damaged area with a loose gauze and keeping it wet? Or will this prmote fungus?

Thanks for the thoughts...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The latter I would think...

Just time now, but clean off would have been a death knell; you may make it yet...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

The latter, but not wet, rather damp. Do keep any eye for fungus, but it should not be problem. Best of luck! :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

frogesque

Might be an idea to reduce 2/3 of the foliage and remove any flowers or buds. This will prevent it trying to draw more moisture through the new join than it can cope with and drying out the sapwood. New growth should start as soon as the rose is able to cope with it. Keep the roots moist but not overfed or overwatered. If the weather is hot or you have dry winds provide a bit of shade and shelter.

Good luck and I hope your 'invalid' recovers.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Great advice Frogesque! Thanks for joining in. 8)

How's that tree rose doing Kevin?? :?:

VAL
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

It is doing fine. My wife had acutally Ducktaped the base where the crack took place. If you didn't see the tape at the bottom of the rose you woundn't be able to tell it had any problems. It is doing good. She had used the cloth kind of duck tape, so this is why I am thinking it is doing well.

Has anyone else used Duck Tape to fix a rose?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Well, they say you can use Duct tape for anything - I guess this is just proof of one more thing!

I'm glad to hear your tree rose is doing well - it's been a month since it's little accident, so I would think if you were going to have any negative results, you would have seen them by now. 8)
I would make sure that it gets all the nutrients it needs, and don't let it stress in any way for food or water. Also, the tape could eventually act as a choker, so after some time, you should take the tape off. Not too soon though, wait till that break has regained some strength.
It's great that you were able to save it!!!! :wink:
VAL
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Here is a shot of my ducktape rose... It works!

[img]https://info.conroeisd.net/~kschoppe/Ducktape%20Diana.jpg[/img]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

That's so amazing! 8) I am so glad for you Kevin, that you were able to save this rose - I'm going to be adding duct tape to my rose emergency kit! :lol:
Great work! :wink:
VAL
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

Return to “Rose Forum”