Tanya_NB_4B/5A

Well Val! It seems pretty close! Now I went outside to try to compare but all my blooms are gone, darn it!

They are definetely in clusters like the pics... They are a bit more fushia than red. The blooms where a bit less big. I've checked and I didn't see any rose hips...The blooms are at the stage that they have just died and fallen off, just a few dried petals left.

I have a book on roses called The ultimate rose book by Peter McHoy. It has a lot of pictures in it and I'm going through it to see if anything looks like it..THe only thing is that this book doesn't have the scientific names.

It think it's pretty close! Now, if this shrub grows that big...I didn't really plant it in the right spot..hehehe

It must be a pretty common rose bush, I think. When it was growing at the other ladies house, I was told it was about a 10 to 15 year old rose. It wasn't more than 3 foot high. Maybe that would help...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

'Red Fairy' might fit the description...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I'm not sure that this is the one, but go to this picture and have a look.

roselandroses.com/.../ gs/gs-plr-redfairy.jpg

cat.hollyridgeonline.com/ Images/RosaRedFairy.JPG

This is the description:
Flowers are Double, rosette in shape, and tiny. It has a light fragrant apple scent.
The flowers come in large repeating clusters continuously. The size is 2.5 feet x 2.5, and it is strong and thorny stemmed, bushy-spreading with shiny fern-like Medium Green leaves.

Some of this doesn't sound like what you have described to me, but check it out and get back to me. We'll keep lookin'!! :wink:
VAL

Tanya_NB_4B/5A

Thanks a lot guys,
I don't think that it's the red fairy It's more bubble gum pink, mine is a darker pink almost purple/burgundy...like this color

https://roselandroses.com/2005catalog/images/jp/jp-ar-rosederescht.jpg

Also, the red fairy has bigger flowers. Mine is probably half that, maybe a quarter of that size. They are very small blooms, almost like a carnation.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Val, I'd be suprised to find it's 'Rose De Rescht', especially if the flowers are smaller than 'Fairy' , which in itself seems odd. I defer to your superior knowledge of roses (he said, slinking off :oops: :roll: )

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Scott, I don't think she was meaning that it was "Rose de Rescht", just that it was the right colour to use to identify hers!!! I don't know why you'd be slinking off because of that! I have my suspicions what it is, but haven't had time to confirm it yet. Not to worry, every little bit helps! :wink:
VAL

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Okay Tanya - after much thought, and review, and second guessing myself, I have come up with a rose that I think meets all of the criteria that you have given me in your previous posts. Your criteria included:

-Darker pink-almost burgundy or fuschia in color;
- very small blooms the size of a toonie like a carnation;
- blooms in clusters;
- foliage mostly on top,
- bottom mostly canes;
- bloom had lots of petals that were a bit frilly, open and pretty dense;
- not like tea roses, florist roses those fuschia roses our grandparents had (hansas);
- flowered in clumps,
- approximately 10 blooms per cane, with 30 or more roses all over;
- very prickly canes the size of your baby finger;
- not grafted;

I have found a rose that meets every one of these criteria, and even looks to me to be the same color as the picture as you sent of "Rose De Rescht". It is known as the carnation rose. Take a look at this, and tell me what you think of it.

www.springvalleyroses.com/ catalog/grootendorstsupreme.html

Let me know what is different about it or right about it, and I'll keep looking. :wink:
VAL

Tanya_NB_4B/5A

Well Val! I think you've got it! Or at least we're very close...It's too bad that it's no longer in bloom and I can't compare...Next year I will definetely take a picture and post it.

Thank you so much!
Now would this rose be common in NB?

Once again, thank you for your time! You're awesome and you sure know your roses!! :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That would be a great rose for your area with the hardiness of the R. rugosa parentage. I think Val's done it again!

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

We really won't know for sure until you have a photo you can send me of the bloom, but until then, let's say it is "Grootendorst Supreme". This is a hybrid rugosa bred by F.J. Grootendorst in 1936 in the Netherlands. It is a sport off the original F.J. Grootendorst rugosa hybrid originating in 1918.

"Grootendorst Supreme" belongs to a group of 4 Grootendorst Rugosa Hybrids. These roses are unusual among Rugosa's in that they have no scent, and that they have crimped edges to their petals, leading them to be nicknamed "carnation roses". The only difference between all four hybrids is their color - red, pink, white, dark red (yours).

The flowers are double, come in clusters, usually of 7 to 15, that bloom throughout the season, and they have rich, green foliage. Their thick green stems are very thorny, and turn grey as they are older. This rose can grow to be 5 to 6 feet tall, and can become lanky and spread out without pruning.

This is an extremely hardy rose, hardy to Zone 3 and higher. Grootendorst is a very common Rugosa Hybrid rose, although "Grootendorst Supreme" is not seen often.

It has won the Classic Shrub Award ARS in San Joaquin Valley in 2001, and the Victorian ARS award in Greater Cincinnati in 2000.

"Grootendorst Supreme" requires little in the way of attention to perform, and will last for many years to come.
I have 3 Grootendorst Rugosa's myself, and they get the least care of all my roses, and they just keep on going. It's almost as if the more I ignore them, the more they're trying to grab my attention!! :lol:

Enjoy your rose and send my a photo when it blooms!!!! :wink:
VAL

Return to “Rose Forum”