Bonsai Snoopy
Newly Registered

Do my 3 Hybrid Tea roses appear healthy?

Good afternoon everyone!

Do my 3 Hybrid Tea roses appear healthy?
I planted these 3 Hybrid Tea roses in the ground about a week ago. They get water daily around 10:30am so the leaves have time to dry. I live in St. Louis Missouri & we have some hot temps coming very soon. In general I would like to know if they look healthy & free of disease.

Thank you!
Attachments
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg
photo4.jpg
photo5.jpg

imafan26
Mod

They look healthy. I am not used to seeing Hybrid teas that are so bushy. and flowering so short.

They were just planted so I guess a lot of buds must have flushed. After the bloom you should prune a hybrid tea in a vase form. Prune above a 5 leaf outward facing node. It is is a hybrid tea it will encourage open branching and better air movement.
Fertilize after every pruning and fungicide once a month if humidity is high.

I like to water before the day gets hot, the stomata are open earlier in the day. As long as the sun is rising not setting, the leaves will dry. Try not to water the leaves if you can. I like to space my roses 18-30 inches apart to get the best air circulation. I don't like the roses to touch and since they are thorny, I don't like to plant them too close to the edge or they will hang over the driveway or into the pathway. OUCH!

applestar
Mod

I’ve mostly given up on growing roses unless they are disease-resistant cultivars, but if I may —

I feel roses are like fruit trees and would benefit from having their own area to grow. The grass/sod should be completely cleared from around them — particularly, the rose branches shouldn’t overhang the grass since the rose roots will grow a ways beyond the tip of the branches. The grass will compete with the roses for water and nutrients.

Moreover, the nutrient/fertilizer requirements for grass is not the same as for roses.

Also, it’s easier to take care of roses when the ground under them is bare (just the mulch) so you can easily pick up and remove fallen leaves, treat for pests, etc. Speaking of which I think I’m seeing some leaves with holes? My first suspicion is rose slugs.

...I had similar reactions to @imafan in that I’m more used to seeing hybrid roses with “legs” showing. Although yours are mulched, I imagine splashed up fungal spores are still a concern?

imafan26
Mod

I agree. I live in the tropics where it is humid most of the time. Roses are "high maintenance", although, I consider grass to be higher maintenance. I prefer hybrid tea roses although I have a couple of grandifloras, rambler, shrub roses, and a couple of miniatures.

The popular knockout series is popular because they are supposed to be more disease resistant.

I select for roses with glossy leaves because they have better mildew tolerance. In the rainy season I do use a systemic fungicide and insecticide. My roses are planted near a streetlight so Chinese rose beetles are not an issue. The systemic fungicide is more practical in controlling black spot than topical sprays. Spacing the plants out so they do not touch and pruning to direct growth outward and thinning branches that are too close will keep the plants healthier.

Roses bloom in six week cycles. After the bloom, they should be fed. Systemic rose care contains fertilizer and fungicide. I only use it during the rainy season. I only use a complete fertilizer with micros during the drier parts of the year. Roses need well drained but rich soil. I have red dirt but it has been amended with compost and I use compost as a mulch for the roses (keep compost or mulch 4 inches away from the stems or you can rot your roses.) I expanded the nectar and pollen garden around the roses and the hover flies seem to be taking care of most of my pests ( I have scale, which I have been treating with a brush and soapy water. They are immune to imidicloprid).

I look at all my plants especially under the leaves when I water, so I try to keep on top of pests. I have to put out snail bait because I have caught a few of them hiding in the alyssum.

When I do get black spot. I pick off all the leaves I can and trash it. I try not to leave rose cutting or leaves on the ground. The ground cover now helps to prevent splash back. So would watering at the base or with soakers.

My miniature roses are only 10 inches tall, so I have to trim the alyssum which can be taller than the roses. My bad, I only looked at the flowers when I ordered the rose, not the size of them.
Bbaby Blanket. They are bullet proof as they are not sprayed and rarely fertilized. The do get wild and will spread branches 8-20 ft and root where they land.

The highest rated rose is Iceberg (9.0) and is the most disease resistant. I used to have one, it is a good bloomer, but I did not like the form or the fact that it needed to be dead headed as the petals don't fall off cleanly.

I bought a few roses this year to replace some older ones. Tiffany, Angel face, Gold Medal. Like you, the Angel face was mislabeled, so I don't have any Angel face, but have 2 Tiffany instead. I also later bought a replacement Queen Elizabeth, my old one finally gave up after a lot of years. That rose cost more, it was not bare root, but a potted rose so I did actually got to see the flower.

My guess for your rose is Grandiflora Queen Elizabeth. Your rose is already bloomed out so I cannot tell what the bud form was like. If it was the classic urn shape, it could be Queen Elizabeth. It can be single or in small clusters of three. The grandiflora is more floribunda like in shape than a hybrid tea. Your rose looks more floribunda than hybrid tea. Queen Elizabeth is also a common commercial variety that is usually available as both bare root and in potted roses.

Sorry, my last two pictures ended up sideways again.
Attachments
Hybrid tea Francis Meilland is about 9 ft tall when picture was taken
Hybrid tea Francis Meilland is about 9 ft tall when picture was taken
miniature roses 10 inches tall. Alyssum is taller
miniature roses 10 inches tall. Alyssum is taller
nectar and pollen garden built around my existing 7 roses.
nectar and pollen garden built around my existing 7 roses.

Bonsai Snoopy
Newly Registered

Thank you everyone for the valuable information it was very very helpful!

Here are some up close photos of the buds on my roses. To me they appear to have the classic urn shape. Very beautiful though!

Thank you!
Attachments
Rose_1
Rose_1
Rose_2
Rose_2
Rose_3
Rose_3

Return to “Rose Forum”