dierdratorres
Newly Registered

I cant figure out why my rose bush looks like its dying

My rose bushes started wilting its leaves, they are dry and brown. They are budding but it looks burnt! I'm a beginner. I'm really not sure what to do
Attachments
img_1619792385523.jpg
img_1619792401325.jpg

applestar
Mod

Describe more details
- how long have you had them?
- Are they planted in the ground or containers?
- What kind of soil and watering schedule? What part of your garden?
- What’s the weather like?
- Has anyone been spraying anything nearby? Neighbors, Utility service, Landscapers, Municipality?

dierdratorres
Newly Registered

I got them as a present last May. They are in containers. We love in North Carolina so the weather is just warming up (60s-80s during the day and 30s-50s at night). I water them... weekly unless it rains I bought soil specific to roses. Haven't fertilized them yet this spring. They sit in an area that has a good 6-8 hours of sun in my back yard so no one has been spraying anything near them I have peonies jasmine calla lilies and lilac growing and none of the other plants have this problem.

applestar
Mod

I’m thinking your roses probably most likely suffered damage from late frost Blasting tender new leaves ... similar to what happened to another member in this thread — Subject: Rose leaves drying/cracking

Take a look at the damage photos in that thread — did yours look similar before those leaves dried up?

...I do think your roses need to be pruned — unless they are landscape shrub roses, most typical ornamental roses would look much less twiggy at this time of spring from pruning for structure by pruning out crossing branches band branches growing inward, and pruning back to healthy Strong new buds. And you definitely should fertilize to support the new growths and for blooming.

What kind of roses are they? Are they named cultivars?

...also, look for culprits that made those holes in the leaves — on the underside. I suspect rose slugs, but it might have been something else. Are you starting to spray your roses?

Return to “Rose Forum”