ElizabethA
Cool Member

Guess what kind of rose I am!?

Hint: you can eat the hips, petals, leaves, and shoots!
Attachments
IMG_20180609_165502_640x360.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Rugosa rose.

imafan26
Mod

Here is one for you

You have to be a night owl to to see me. My bloom only lasts one night. My fruit is named after a mythical creature.
Attachments
20201001_072552.jpg

ElizabethA
Cool Member

Iamafan26- I took this photo of my Nootka rose, but it looks the same in pictures as the rugosa.

ElizabethA
Cool Member

Is it Queen of the Night? It's a beautiful flower!

ElizabethA
Cool Member

Guess what flower I am! I am pretty hardy and I can also have light purple blooms. I'm not a rose! 😊
Attachments
IMG_20180316_101256_640x360.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I had to look up Queen of the NIght because I did not know that common name. Epiphyllum oxypetalum, is a member of the night blooming cereus family. The orchid cacti is a smaller version.

The picture is of the night blooming cereus so points to you. The flower is from a night blooming cactus called hylocereus undatus. The fruit is called Pitaya. The fruit is commonly sold as Dragon Fruit. This cactus grows very large. Mine got over 10 feet before I cut it . the flowers are bigger 8-12 inches across, and almost as tall.
The pitaya of mine are red with white pulp. I don't get to eat many of them since I have to get up really early to pollinate mine and the birds and snails eat the fruit before I get to them.

Here is another rose for you. It is a hybrid tea named after a famous rose breeder. It is listed as 5-7 ft tall. Mine actually got to 9 feet. It bears single large light pink high centered flowers approx 40-80 petals on long stems with glossy green leaves. It has a citrus scent. This rose has won many international awards and is known by multiple names. The breeder that this rose honored also bred the famous Peace Rose which was named the 1946 rose of the year.
Attachments
20201129_091722r.jpg
20201129_091730.rjpg.jpg

told2b

Francis Meilland?

ElizabethA
Cool Member

iamafan26 - the info re the Queen of the Night was really interesting. I've never tasted dragon fruit, but heard of it before.
I don't know this rose!

imafan26
Mod

Told2b, correct, it is Francis Meilland. It won the 2013 AARS award as well as some other international awards.

Dragon fruit is sweet, the seeds are nutty. I like the yellow dragon fruit, it was the sweetest so far. The flesh is juicy but a little gelatinous, not like okra, more like Jello in texture. Dragon fruit are like avocados, you pick them firm and wait until they soften a bit to eat them. They are better chilled. If you are going to grow a fruit, it is better to grow an expensive one , in the right climate, rather than a cheap one. The cheap one you can get from the store. I have to keep chopping my dragon fruit because it likes to roam and climb. Dragon fruit and vanda are the only two things that don't mind a hot tile wall. Mine should flower more, but it doesn't. If I only get one flower, it won't make any fruit since it is not self pollinating. I do have to get to it in time since, I don't have enough moths to do the pollination naturally and I have come out many times just having missed the flowers I have been waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cvNoK ... cGardening

Pandan can grow taller than two feet, mine have gotten to be 4 feet tall, but it suckers a lot, so it grows laterally more than vertically. It can grow in a very large pot, but it does better in the ground.

ElizabethA
Cool Member

I'll have to try it sometime! Thx for sharing! 😊

imafan26
Mod

I have a couple of more roses in bloom for you to identify. Sorry they are all sideways again. I really have to put some kind of marker on my phone so I know which direction to hold it. If you click on the photo, it should be upright.
Attachments
20201228_162020.jpg
20210108_084938.jpg
20210108_085002.jpg
20210108_085017.jpg

ElizabethA
Cool Member

Those are gorgeous! Thx for posting!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Roses are dear to my heart because my great grandmother and grandmother grew them. But as for me, they're way over my head and I'm certain I couldn't keep one alive. Plus I don't have room for one. I need what planting space I have for edibles. But tell me something, there is such thing as a dwarf rose bush right? Like a micro mini that can stay in a little pot?

imafan26
Mod

The two middle roses in the picture are minis. The plants are over a year old in the ground and as you can see the allyssum is as tall as the rose. These minatures are button size roses that are good for corsages. The plants are less than 18 inches tall, actually they are probably more like 12 inches so they would be very good as a pot rose. I have miniature roses that I bought in 4 inch pots called MOORCAP, or red cascade. The rose is small around an inch in diameter, but the rose itself is a rambler with canes that will reach 15-20 ft so they are better trained vertically.

Roses bloom here year round, but I do not live in an ideal climate for roses. Your climate is actually better suited. Roses are high maintenance. They do need to be pruned and fed regularly to get the repeat blooms. I actually do have to select for resistance to black spot, but the alyssum is there not just for its looks but also because it is one of the best plants for attracting predators and beneficial insects. It competes with some of the smaller weeds and does not need a lot of attention except for shearing. My roses are planted near a streetlight so I don't have problems with Chinese rose beetles. These roses do have problems with peach scale which is resistant to imidicloprid. I control scale by pruning and using a brush with soapy water. These roses are survivors as long as I can keep them healthy they will tolerate the scale. The roses I have in my backyard are bullet proof. Nothing bothers them and they don't even get regular care. However, I have very rich soil after many years of miracle grow every two weeks on my entire yard ( two packages to spray the whole yard every two weeks). I stopped doing that once I discovered that my orchids actually bloomed better with less and I started testing my soil. I haven't needed significant amounts of fertilizer in ground plants except for nitrogen for about 10 years. I have to wait until covid is over to get another soil test. It is significantly harder to submit a sample now.

I do fertilize the roses, but not that much only once every three months or so with nutricote, if I remember. Otherwise fertilizing is random, pretty much I will try to fertilize after I prune. Because, I have die back issues on the larger canes, I do have to remember to sanitize my pruner with a flame or alcohol before making cuts and I do use pruning paint to paint the cuts and keep the water out. I only have a few roses so it takes less than 30 minutes every six weeks or so to take care of them, so it is not a big deal. The miniature roses are the newest roses I have. Many of the others are quite old. I did have to remove some roses and Queen Elizabeth died, so I have space now for at least two to three more roses. I live in a HOA and vegetables are technically not allowed in the front yard, but there are ways to sneak a few unusual ones in. Technically, if roses are not sprayed, they are edible. I use the public space to plant most of my nectar plants for beneficial insects. It is not perfect since some of the plants like the roses, gardenia and hibiscus have to be treated for chronic problems, but I don't have to treat them all year and I try to spot treat them as much as possible.

Return to “Rose Forum”