RASelkirk

Is it Best to Plant Climbing Rose in Spring?

Hi All,

We're in zone 9b and just ripped out two (3'W x 6'H) trellises of star jasmine. We want to go back with some type of climbing rose. I'd like to get it done, but a neighbor said it's best to plant in spring?

Thanks!

Russ

applestar
Mod

Welcome to the forum! I’m not a rose expert, but based on general knowledge of semi woody shrubs, I believe late fall before the ground freezes- at least 2 weeks before hard freeze is actually a good time to plant. I feel like in zone 9b, you should be able to plant anytime through the winter, but I’ve only ever lived in zone 6-7.

HOWEVER, in areas where you might get deep freezes below 20°F, There are chances that less well-hardened branches will see excessive winter-kill, depending on what you are planting. Special danger is if there are unseasonable fluctuations in temperature that fools the plant into breaking bud — which will not survive the winter.

When planting in spring, be sure to get the plants from very reliable sources. I’ve planted bare-root roses as soon as the ground thaws, as well as DORMANT planted container roses later when dandelions start to bloom.

In my area, it’s actually not as reliable to plant blooming container roses for Mothers Day — partly because they force the blooms to open for giving, and it’s not really time for roses to bloom until June. The plants tend to be weak. It’s better to buy roses that are just starting to break bud. We can sometimes get frost as late as a week before Mother's Day.

imafan26
Mod

If you are ordering roses from a catalog, they will ship the rose at the proper time for your planting zone. Make sure the rose you are planting is one that suits your local climate. Most roses are planted in early Spring from Jan-May depending on last frost dates. The only time you actually cannot plant a rose is when the ground is frozen or in monsoon season.

In Hawaii, where I live the temperatures range from 51-92 degrees F. Roses are usually sent to me in September and on Christmas Day. I live in zone 12a. It never freezes here but the rainy season can be problematic. I choose glossy leaved roses as they are the most disease tolerant and my front yard slopes so it will never flood. I use Bayer systemic rose care to control black spot during the rainy season.

If you never have to deal with frozen conditions you could plant the roses in the fall or in pots in a hoop house where they will be sheltered. If you are buying roses from a local nursery, the roses will be better adapted but you should acclimate the rose before planting it anyway.

RASelkirk

We'll buy them here locally, and I'll go over and have a chat soon. We do get enough temperature "wildness" to set off our azaleas early, and every few years we get a day or two spell of mid-20's. I've been here in SETX since '75 and there have been two times in got in the single digits, one of those it never got above 20° for a week. Oh, and a bout of freezing rain in '96 that took out the only (ash) tree on my property. Other than the (more frequent) hurricanes, life is good!

Thanks!

Russ

Return to “Rose Forum”