Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Multiflora Rose Bushes

It has just accrued to me that someone might be interested in Multiflora Roses. When I was growing up on the farm in southern Illinois town of Fieldfield Multiflora Roses grew wild. Grandfathers transplanted a pink rose bush from cow pasture to front yard. When breeze blew across the rose bush to front porch the fragrance was amazing. It made blossoms June to Oct every year for 20 years. These grow wild in ILL in 3 colors, red, pink, white. Bush was mushroom shape about 6 ft tall & 10 ft diameter and maintenance free. I use to mow grass around it with the lawn mower. When I moved to TN it was still there 1977. I tried to grow store bought roses several times in TN they only make flowers 2 weeks a year that is wasted space 50 weeks a year.

I was reading about multiflora roses online this is what I found.

Rosa multiflora is grown as an ornamental plant, and also used as a rootstock for grafted ornamental rose cultivars.
In eastern North America, Rosa multiflora is now generally considered an invasive species, though it was originally introduced from Asia as a soil conservation measure, as a natural hedge to border grazing land, and to attract wildlife. It is readily distinguished from American native roses by its large inflorescences, which bear multiple flowers and hips, often more than a dozen, while the American species bear only one or a few on a branch. In some regions this plant is classified as a noxious weed.[5] In grazing areas, this rose is generally considered to be a serious pest, though it is considered excellent fodder for goats. The hips of the plant are edible.

I wonder if anyone already has a multaflora rose bush that makes roses all summer?
Attachments
0a.jpg
0b.jpg
0d.jpg
0d.jpg (155.09 KiB) Viewed 18619 times

imafan26
Mod

I think those are grandiflora roses and they are beautiful. I have a rose that rooted itself in the middle of the yard and I have ramblers which will root wherever they touch the ground and they don't need any care. My ramblers have small roses, not the big ones you have.

Return to “Rose Forum”