21falloutroses
Newly Registered

Indoor mini rose dying from canker, help!

When I got this mini rose it was really healthy and in full bloom. Then it started losing leaves and I couldnt change the pot right away and when I finally did I realized it had canker.
By then, its foliage was already getting thin, and I didnt have any fungicide so I just had to trim back the disease and hope for the best.
Now I moved it to a full sun spot in the house and I've been trimming away the diseased parts and treating it with fungicide and it has almost no leaves left and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to save it now.
And if there isnt, please don't tell me to get another one, there's a reason this one is really special to me.
Sorry for the bad quality picture.
Thank you.
Attachments
20190713_125836.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It looks like it is a losing battle. The lower branches still look ok but they are very thin You still have some dead wood you need to get rid of. Make sure your pruners are sharp and you can get a clean end. It looks like it will be hard to do with the rose as it is. Always clean your tools between roses and cut up your sick plants last. Minimum is to wash the tools at the end of the day and remove any sap, then oil the blade. Wrap the tool in a towel to store. It will keep the tool sharper longer and won't rust as fast.

Orchidists will usually spray 70% alcohol and wipe the blade with a disposable towel between cuts. Wash hands and change gloves between plants. Torch the blade a few seconds before and after using the tool on a new plant. For roses, I get dieback with cuts over 1/2 inch. I called the rose line years ago and they told me to use pruning paint on the larger cuts. It has worked well for me and I have fewer issues with dieback now. Pruning paint is not recommended much any more, but it can help prevent issued from dieback.

Return to “Rose Forum”