tjcarter
Newly Registered

Rose Leaves are browning between the leaf veins

Hi all-
We are renters and we are trying to care for about 14 rose bushes. Neither of us have prior experience with these bushy beauties, but we are learning as we go. I have been watering then twice weekly (about 3 gallons each) for about 2 months now. We have recently added compost to the soil, and I just bought some organic rose fertilizer. We are trying to do this organically.

One of the rose bushes has developed these symmetrical brown spots between the leaf veins, and the leaves that are browning are wilting slightly. It has not dropped any leaves yet.

I have noticed a couple of leaves on two other bushes doing the same thing. I can post links to pictures tomorrow. In the mean time, any idea what we might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

doccat5
Green Thumb

Can you provide some pictures? It's hard to figure out what's wrong from a description. You might be overwatering them. Are these mature rose bushes?

tjcarter
Newly Registered

I'll get some pics up this evening. thanks!

tjcarter
Newly Registered

here is a link to the pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/toijeancarter/Garden/

the second one illustrates that "symmetry" I was talking about. maybe that wasn't the best descriptive word. Any advice ya'll can give me would be much appreciated!

thanks...

doccat5
Green Thumb

This looks very much like Rose Mosaic and that's not good Evidently there is little or no treatment for it. Please see this site for more info. I'll keep looking to see if I can find an organic type solution. Since this is a virus, you may be able to get some measure of control with tight sanitation measures, but I would definitely move this rose away from others. It's evidently highly contagious as well.......

[url]https://www.oznet.ksu.edu/path-ext/factSheets/Rose/Rose%20Mosaic%20Virus.asp[/url]

Sorry it's not better news, but you might be ahead to replace that rose with something that's more disease resistant.

tjcarter
Newly Registered

Hi-Thanks so much for the advice...I am not sure that I agree that it is rose mosaic...those pics don't look much like what is happening to my rose bushes. Perhaps you would have to see them in person. I am realizing that it is very difficult to diagnose plant problems through pictures!

I ended up pruning back the problem leaves, and fertilizing. I will keep ya'll posted as to what happens. Since posting last, I have found all sorts of nasty little critters on the rose bushes...earwigs and leaf rollers...I don't think that these are responsible though.

Thanks again!

doccat5
Green Thumb

Well it's certainly worth a try, good sanitation never goes amiss. You have a tent worm caterpillar in your last picture shot. Using BT to control those will help. They do need to ingest the leaves, but I imagine you have more around your area close by.

Return to “Rose Forum”