jhern316
Newly Registered

Hybrid Tea dropping leaves

I live in North Carolina and we have had a very wet start to summer. I have multiple rose bushes that have been established for 3 years now. They are planted in a raised flower bed, good drainage, no standing water ever. The roses were pruned before Spring back to about 3ft high and when summer began they were fertilized & were growing very well. Recently we had about 10 days straight of rainy weather and all of a sudden 4 of the 5 bushes dropped a majority of their leaves. One bush looks to be dying (black/brown stems) & the other 3 don't look alot better. The only healthy looking growth is towards the top of the bush. The 5th bush looks to be doing just fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening? Could it be the ongoing weather, maybe a disease or something else? Thank you for any ideas.
Attachments
This is the rosebed after a short shower about 2 weeks ago. You can see some of the leaves yellowing & beginning to fall. The only one still fine is the far left bush.
This is the rosebed after a short shower about 2 weeks ago. You can see some of the leaves yellowing & beginning to fall. The only one still fine is the far left bush.

imafan26
Mod

Mine did a similar thing. The roses got black spot and the leaves fell. I did have some canes dieback, I think it was because it rained for a few days and the soil did not dry out. All you can do is cut back the dead canes. I do use pruning paint to seal the cuts because it is humid here and it still rains at night off and on. I have not watered the roses in the ground for a while and they are planted on a slope. I did add a layer of compost which is probably not helping right now, but I can't do anything about it now. I still water the roses that are still potted but I have moved them under the eaves so they don't get directly watered from rain falling from the roof. I water them only on days it does not rain.

You have a downspout that drains into the rose garden. I suggest you put an extension on it and drain it out into the lawn area instead so more water does not pile up in the bed. I think your bed slopes slightly to the right, the stones are wetter on the right side so your good rose is in the driest spot. It looks like you have a lot of mulch in the bed. It will hold on to water. Mulch and compost are good things except when there is a lot of water to contend with.

Return to “Rose Forum”