arsimon003
Newly Registered

Indoor Mini Rose Bush Concern

Hello-

I am a new rose bush mom. I recently purchased 3 mini roses bushes. I have them each in a self watering planter. They sit in an east facing window so they have great sunlight for a few hours in the morning. I purchased grow lights for them and give them 3-5 hours of grow light time in the afternoon. I spray water on them a few times daily to help with humidity and I leave the window open slightly to allow for air flow. I noticed this morning that some of the fuller blooms are starting to turn brown on the edges and their is a strange fuzzy white fungus growing on the top of the soil. I am wondering if the soil is too wet causing fungus and if the grow lights are burning the blooms. I keep the grow light 7-12 inches from each bush as instructed. Please help!!

applestar
Mod

I think it’s very possible the self-watering set up is keeping the soil too damp. Roses need well draining soil and are susceptible to root rot.

What kind of potting mix did you use? If you used anything advertised as “moisture control” I would consider it a suspect. Most potting mix would be too heavy or moisture holding and need to be modified, and if you didn’t use potting mix or container mix intended for container plants... like garden soil, then definitely too heavy.

Please also describe the design of the self-watering system — best Type especially for rose would be one that has an airspace between the water reservoir and bottom of a mesh or colander-type inner/upper container.

Maybe also mention the size of the container or better yet post a photo.

imafan26
Mod

The edges of the blooms turning brown may be the flower senescing and normal. I would be careful about misting too much as that could also encourage fungal growth on the leaves as well if they stay wet for too long. The soil does sound like it is staying too wet and I personally don't like self watering planters because I have problems with them killing plants outside.

arsimon003
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your reply.

Self Watering container has a small gravel disk between the soil and the water reservoir. But the soil stays very very moist. If I were to transplant to another planter, how would you suggest I do that? I don't want to damage the plants. Should I let them dry out a little so the soil stays together better?

I uploaded pictures of the potting soil I used and the roses. Is that an ok mix or would you suggest something else?

Also I purchase an organic fish emulsion fertilizer, I haven't used it yet. I read somewhere that it would be good to give them a feeding every two weeks or so. Does that sound correct?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
Attachments
IMG-2717.JPG
IMG-2715.JPG
IMG-2713.JPG

Return to “Rose Forum”