Scooterbug
Newly Registered

Rose HELP !

IMG_20180228_130359.jpg
Hi all,
newbie here :-()
I recently purchased 4 floribunda roses online.
They arrived last week
in 4" pots looking healthy with approx. 6" of healthy, green leaves BUT this week the leaves are yellowing & they are looking poor.

I can't plant them outside here till May & am wondering if re-potting & a sunny window would help plus give them a good 2 months to establish before planting outside in May..?

The instructions said to 'keep in cool area like garage & water weekly until ready to plant' BUT I'm thinking they need Sun.....
...HELP...!!! -helpsos-

applestar
Mod

Why can’t you plant until May? I’m surprised that the supplier had shipped you the plants if it is not the right time to plant them.

If the ground is not frozen I think it would be possible to plant them already. We had an early thaw here in Zone 6b, and I could plant in some parts of my garden that are thawing out. Ordinarily, I think it should be possible by mid- March here.

If you really, really can’t plant because the ground is frozen and you are still getting low-20’s night time temps, then you should probably put them outside any time temperature is above freezing — upper 30’s or definitely 40’s. Then bring them inside at night. Make sure to acclimate them to direct sunlight by increasing duration of exposure every day.

It’s Ok if the leaves end up falling, new shoots and leaves will grow this season.

Scooterbug
Newly Registered

Tks 4 the quick reply Applestar !I

I too was surprised when they came early. I ordered from other online nurseries & the others said 'would ship for my planting zone between Apr-May' ... thought they would do the same!

I'm in 7a & have lost many plants b4 by planting early.
Our temps fluctuate drastically here Feb-Apr w/heavy freezes, frosts & had some of our biggest snows then.

imafan26
Mod

Bare root plants are usually shipped by planting time. If you ordered plants and not bareroot, they may have shipped earlier. I agree with applestar that they probably would be better inside. I think the plants could also use some light even artificial light would be better than a dark garage. Be careful not to overwater. If the plants are cold, they slow down; over watering can cause the leaves to drop and the roots to rot.

Return to “Rose Forum”