A95willia
Newly Registered

Help needed with rose rootings

I have two rose cuttings. Not sure what variety. I moved into a new place and found an old rose bush growing in the flower bed. I was successful in getting the two of the cuttings I cut from the bush( I say bush, it was just one stem growing from a root) to root. They are probably 3 or 4 months old. I have pretty much let them do there own thing by not disturbing them. They have been healthy an fairly vibrant until I looked at them this morning to find them not looking to well. The stems are still green but the leaves have turned almost a dark green purplish color. I did spray some "OFF Backyard Mosquito pretreat around them,not directly on them,about 10 days ago. The label says it's safe to use around roses,and I followed labeled instructions.
I'm wondering could this have harmed them or is it just the time of year for them to die back. I live in the lowcountry of SC,U.S.A.,it has been sufferringly hot and humid the past week or so. We have had some cool mornings,maybe low 60's upper 50's but not that many. Do they normally lose their leaves in winter time? I appreciate any advice any one could give. I'm a newbie to growing roses. I'm including a couple of pics. Sorry if the pics are fuzzy,my phone camera is not the best,also it's so humid this morning,I think the lens on the camera is fogging up!
rose1.jpg
rose2.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Well, you have had more success than I have. The leaves look a little moldy and I have the same problem with humidity. Since your cuttings are three months old they should be rooted. Cut off the dying leaves and take the fallen ones out of the pot to make sure you don't spread any more of the spores. I don't know if the off caused any problems, I don't use it around my yard.

Feed the roses wit 1/4 strength water soluble fertilizer weekly and hope they regrow leaves. I use Rose care on my larger roses. You could try putting about a 1/2 teaspoon in the pot to control the fungal issues. (I use granular rose care. If you use the liquid you have to dilute it first.) Do not keep this pot near edibles.

I have only been able to successfully root the rambler and landscape roses. I have yet to be able to successfully root a tea rose.

A95willia
Newly Registered

Thank you,imafan26. I too had had great success with the rambler rose cutting( I think that's the same thing I call "wild roses",they have a very small rose flower,please correct me if I'm wrong,I'm in a learning process here). I got the cuttings from an old house site, stuck them in some potting soil and let them "do their own thing" once again. When I put them in the yard,they "rambled" everywhere ! For these cuttings, I got 6 or 8 from the donor plant, scrapped the "skin" off of the stems,stuck them in a mixture of potting soil and cactus mix. I cut the top off of a clear water bottle(small 12 or 16 oz) and put it over them,in a fairly well shaded area on my deck. Used no hormone or growth stimulator and let them be for at least 4 to 6 weeks. Once I could see the leaves touching the sides of the bottles, I removed the bottle. I learned this method by watching several videos on youtube.(I don't mean that as a promo in any way for youtube,but there are some very knowledgeable people on there). The main thing, I think, is to have the nodes pointing in the right direction. Lol! I think I had a few upside down in the soil.
I was also thinking this was some sort of mold on the leaves. I will try your recommendations and see if I can get them revived.
Thank you for your time and input!

imafan26
Mod

Some people make a mini greenhouse over their cuttings but the trick is to know when to take them out. One person I know just chopped her bushes and put them in a bucket of water in the yard without even trying to root them, and it worked. Some times, it just takes a lot a luck. I have some cutting in my cutting box now. The hybrid tea (Mr. Lincoln) looks like a goner again, but the rambler is already a foot long and it starting to ramble.

Return to “Rose Forum”