rzw0wr
Newly Registered

Roses not doing well.

Hello all.
I just joined this forum today.
I am very new to roses.
All of my roses are newly planted this spring.
I have no idea what the names of my roses are or what type.
I just buy them and plant them because I like the color.

It is August here in Indiana and it has rained a little this month so far.
Possibly an inch over all.

I have a question about my roses.

1) I have a blue/lavender colored rose that has been planted about 4 months.
The rose has done well since planting.
Last week I noticed that leaves on this rose was turning yellow/green on the older leaves.
The new growth will start out red then will quickly turn yellow with the edges the red color.

I have looked up the problem on the internet and got several possibility's as to what the problem my be.
Calcium deficiency, potassium deficiency or possibly nitrogen deficiency.
It was suggested to add Boric acid, bone meal or nitrogen.

I have added a picture of this rose.

It produced buds and bloomed OK for a new plant.

All of the other roses in this garden are looking good.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Yellowing rose.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Roses are heavy feeders and should be fed after every bloom cycle. If you have not been doing that, it could be why the lower leaves are yellow. Roses like a good soak once or twice a week but they do not like standing water. Standing water can cause the roots to rot so make sure the roses are on high well drained ground. I see black spot on the leaves. It is a common problem when it is very humid or has been raining a lot. You can remove the diseased leaves and put them in the trash, keep fallen leaves picked up and fungicide when the whether is humid or you can use systemic rose care. The 3in1 formula contains fertilizer butI use 2 in 1 rose care and feed the roses with citrus food, rose food, or miracle grow for acid loving plants.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum. I am not a Rosarian like some of the forum members but I have grown roses. They like to be planted in mounds. I helped my Dad plant roses for Mom. We built up a row 2" above ground level. Roses are temperamental and need lots of care and attention.

If you want to successfully grow roses you need to educate yourself on their individual needs. Different varieties have different needs.

You will have to invest in fungicides and insecticides. Remove diseased leaves immediately. Pick up any leaves that fall. Bottom water gently. You do not want any splatter on the leaves of your roses.

My Dad always said that if you could not eat it, it was not worth planting. Dad had the back yard for his vegetable gardens, chickens, ducks and other assorted poultry. Mom had the front yard for her flower beds.

Out of the blue Dad decided to plant a rose bed. He wanted to be able to bring Mother roses every day. For his first foray into flowering plants he picked the most particular, most labor intensive plant available.

I helped him build his beds and gave him links to the LSU Ag. Center for more information. For many years Mother walked into her kitchen every morning and found a bouquet of roses on her table.

Best advice - know what you plant. Do some home work. Requirements vary from region to region.

An excellent source of information is your County Extension Office.

Good luck.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

OOOPS! 2' not 2" above ground level.

Return to “Rose Forum”