yanjunlisa
Newly Registered

Blooms and does not last long

I have a Darcey Bussel this year and we planted about three weeks ago. We bought rosetone and applied as the instructions said when we moved the plant from pot to our garden. We planted in a area full of sunshine, at least 6 hours each day.

It blooms normally, however, the flowers do not last long, only about two days and pedals begin to drop. What the problem it could be?

We are in New York City area.

Thanks for suggestions.

Metermaid53
Newly Registered

She is probably sulking due to being moved. Did you keep her well watered?

imafan26
Mod

Three weeks is not a lot of time for the rose to get established. I was told by a rose society member to water a newly planted rose twice a day until it gets established. For me that took about a month. I added compost and fertilizer to the planting hole and I fertilize after I deadhead and cut the roses back.
I don't usually like to plant roses in summer, it is better for me to plant in the Spring or the fall when the weather is cooler and the rose will have time to develop the root system before trying to bloom. It is also easier to keep them watered. They lose a lot of water in summer.

Roses like deep watering, mulch to conserve water. Once the roses are established they only need deep watering a couple of times a week.

I think your rose needs time to develop a root system. It is probably losing the flowers faster because the plant does not have a large enough root system yet. I would water the rose daily at the minimum. Disbud the roses for now, so energy will not be diverted to the bloom and let the foliage grow. Roses are heavy feeders, you don't just fertilize them once, especially with an organic fertilizer like rosetone.

applestar
Mod

So cut the flower buds off without letting them develop at all? I was wondering if it would be best to cut them off as unfolding buds to enjoy on the table since it doesn't sound like there's much point right now outside.

Return to “Rose Forum”