Lindzlabouch
Newly Registered

What is this??

I have about 6 rose bushes in my back yard, but this one is the only one growing this off of it? It is in a different bed in the yard, but has similar plants around it as the other ones. I tried to see if it was a overgrown weed, but it's growing directly from the stalks of the bush... It has thorns and similar leaves. I didn't buy the bush like this and I have had them for about 5 years and this is the first time I've noticed this happening. Is this dangerous for my rose bush? Any ideas what is happening or what it is? I'm kinda new to this happening... :-|
Attachments
20170612_205041.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Look for the graft union on the rose. are the stalks coming from below that? If they are, they are probably from the rootstock. At least yours blooms, when my rose suckered from the rootstock it put out 7 foot canes but not a single flower. I finally figured out the hybrid tea had died and pulled it out.

Your picture wasn't very clear and I could not get to zoom more, but I think it could be Burr's Multiflora. The flowers are similar but it should not have a lot of thorns.
https://fps.ucdavis.edu/roses/cultivar.cfm?varietyid=317

Lindzlabouch
Newly Registered

I posted a few more pictures of the flowers, the stalk and the rooting system. I am new to roses so any additional info would be helpful! Thank you! :D
Attachments
20170613_054952.jpg
20170613_055119.jpg
20170613_055145.jpg

Lindzlabouch
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:Look for the graft union on the rose. are the stalks coming from below that? If they are, they are probably from the rootstock. At least yours blooms, when my rose suckered from the rootstock it put out 7 foot canes but not a single flower. I finally figured out the hybrid tea had died and pulled it out.

Your picture wasn't very clear and I could not get to zoom more, but I think it could be Burr's Multiflora. The flowers are similar but it should not have a lot of thorns.
https://fps.ucdavis.edu/roses/cultivar.cfm?varietyid=317
I added some more pictures in the replies. Thank you for responding!

applestar
Mod

Yeah. I think I see to the right and bottom right a big fat new green cane and an older hardened shoot coming from below the mass of less vigorous grafted growths. Are the white flowers blooming on those canes to the right?

I'm assuming the red flowers are the desirable ones? Actually the white singles look kind of pretty too in their own way -- too bad. Any fragrance?

Lindzlabouch
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Yeah. I think I see to the right and bottom right a big fat new green cane and an older hardened shoot coming from below the mass of less vigorous grafted growths. Are the white flowers blooming on those canes to the right?

I'm assuming the red flowers are the desirable ones? Actually the white singles look kind of pretty too in their own way -- too bad. Any fragrance?
The white ones are coming from the new cane. The red are the desirable ones, but I'm not so much minding the white ones in addition. It looks kind of neat, but I'm not sure If this will effect the red rose growth? Is the white a type of rose? Will this just continue to grow like this or will it eventually stop blooming? Can I cut back that over growth to make look more uniform? I'm so new to this lol thanks in advance.

Lindzlabouch
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Yeah. I think I see to the right and bottom right a big fat new green cane and an older hardened shoot coming from below the mass of less vigorous grafted growths. Are the white flowers blooming on those canes to the right?

Actually upon further inspection, the red ones are coming from the new cane.... The white ones are kind of splicing off of the red ones higher up the cane...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree. Roses are almost always sold as the rose desired grafted onto the rootstock of a different rose, for improved hardiness or whatever. Since the rootstock is hardier and more vigorous, it sometimes takes over. So in your case the white rose, more like species rose, is growing from the rootstock, while the red one is the hybrid rose that was grafted onto the root stock.

I actually think it makes a very interesting and rather pretty combination red and white rose bush. But the risk is that the white will continue to take over and eventually the red rose bush will die.

Lindzlabouch
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:I agree. Roses are almost always sold as the rose desired grafted onto the rootstock of a different rose, for improved hardiness or whatever. Since the rootstock is hardier and more vigorous, it sometimes takes over. So in your case the white rose, more like species rose, is growing from the rootstock, while the red one is the hybrid rose that was grafted onto the root stock.

I actually think it makes a very interesting and rather pretty combination red and white rose bush. But the risk is that the white will continue to take over and eventually the red rose bush will die.
That's kind of a shame... Though I don't really mind the white ones. The red and white together for now looks really pretty. and I have 5 other Red bushes that are doing just fine so far! Can I prune it down to make it look more uniform with the shorter stalks? Or will this harm the growth through the summer? These may be dumb questions but I am super new to roses and have only had to worry about my red ones to this point.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you can cut back the long stems. Prune at a 45 deg angle, just above an outward facing bud eye.

Return to “Rose Forum”