Ange
Newly Registered

Very old Rose, help needed please

best.JPG
Hello all,
We moved into this property in January 2015, and inherited a very large Rambler (well I think it's Rambler) Rose. It's massive. Thing is, we would really like to remodel the garden, and the trellis it's trained on is very weak, sways in the wind and is WAY past it's best. Can you advise please, how we would go about retaining this Rose and (hopefully) training it onto a new Trellis/Pergola? It's NEVER watered, although last year I did water it with Epsom Salts added to the water. The blooms are profuse, but yet to open. It must be 30' long. I'm posting an image of it last year, and will post . If you want an image of the trunk as it goes into the ground, I can do that too. We live in Lincolnshire, UK. Many thanks,

Ange
Newly Registered

Owwwww... No Rose growers then, :lol: :lol:

imafan26
Mod

I have a few roses that ramble and have canes going out 15-20 ft. They can be cut back, but I usually do it in stages. There is a proper time for pruning roses. Roses are prone to fungal and bacterial diseases so make sure your tools are sharp and clean. For orchids we use a small torch with electric start. Heat the blade a few seconds after you make the final cut on a branch. I use pruning sealer on anything that has a 1/2 cut. Pruning paint went out of style a while ago but when my roses had issues with die back, I called the rose hotline and they told me to seal my cuts on the large branches and that really has made a difference for me. You will need loppers, pruners, long sleeved gloves, long sleeved shirt, hat, eye protection and put the garbage can near you. You will have to cut the rose branches into small sections and Green roses are the only ones I know of that don't have thorns. The thorns are usually why I cut the roses in stages.

https://www.rose.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... INAL.2.pdf
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=189

Ange
Newly Registered

Many thanks imafan26 for your advice. I was about to give up! It's in full bud at the moment, and I say FULL bud! I used Epsom Salts last year and am convinced there are a lot more buds this year than last. We'll have to wait a few months then, until ready for pruning back. Living in the UK midlands, the weather can be temperamental to say the least.

Return to “Rose Forum”