Mare
Newly Registered

Roses from seed

Hello, I'm new here and I hope I can ask my question here :)

For years I tried to get a new plant (through cuttings?) from my families rose (30 years old) but it failed miserably time after time. House & ground is sold last year, but I managed to get some seeds which sprouted in my fridge. To my surprise actually...but I'm happy :D

Now the plants are in soil, but there is a little rosebud now growing. Some suggested to cut it, others suggested to leave it. The plants are still weak and "sloppy", I so hope I get decent and strong rose bushes, because this rose has sentimental value to me.
I hardly can find any information on the webs, so I hope someone here can advice me.

Thank you in advance!!
Mare, The Netherlands (so pardon my English...sorry)
Attachments
Rozen3-klein.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Since the plant is so small, I would cut the flower so the energy will be directed to the plant not the flower. Realize that if your rose was a hybrid, it may not come out exactly the same.

Mare
Newly Registered

Thank you!!!
I don't think this is an hybrid or "bred" on a wild rose stem, since this rosebud is the same color as the rose flowers the "mother" plant had...
I sincerely hope this is not an hybrid...still waiting ;)

So ok, can you tell me how to cut this bud?
Just right after the lower leaves?
I'm sorry, I never had roses in my life, really don't have any experience with them...

Return to “Rose Forum”