Sandy888

What is the name of this rose ?

HI all,
We purchased new home this January and one of the roses started to open blooms last week :D . Although I am an avid rose gardener for years, I just have no luck identifying this particular rose *sigh. It is an AMAZING specimen though, that survived growing for many years in this shady, wet, windy, sandy "koi pond" :shock: with zero maintenance (I did some heavy pruning in January with little hope of saving it). However, it sprung to life full force and rewarded me with amazingly beautiful flowers that are so fragrant that the whole area smells like heaven O:) . Flowers are on very long single stems, so I suppose it must be a hybrid tea BUT the height of a rose is astonishing - top bud is at 7' ! Fragrance reminds me of Plumeria :) . NO signs of any disease even though it was not sprayed nor I had a chance to use systemic disease control fertilizer - actually poor thing was literary in standing water for the whole winter since there is zero drainage in that "tub". I will have to make some holes in the bottom of the pond before next winter, but for now, I would really LOVE to know the name of this stunning beauty with resilience of a steel ! Thank you all in advance .
IMG_7255.JPG
IMG_7255.JPG (48.54 KiB) Viewed 21921 times
[img]
IMG_7255.JPG
IMG_7255.JPG (48.54 KiB) Viewed 21921 times
[/img]
Attachments
IMG_7249.JPG
IMG_7249.JPG (34.13 KiB) Viewed 21921 times
IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7273.JPG (37.78 KiB) Viewed 21921 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure you are aware there are literally thousands of named rose varieties. There used to be a couple different searchable databases of roses on-line, where you could input characteristics of your rose, color, type, fragrance, etc etc and it would give you a list of roses from the db that matched those characteristics. Not a guarantee, but at least it gave you a place to start. But for some reason neither one of them is operational any more -- maybe a sign that it was an impossible task. I was no longer able to find any place where you could look it up without knowing the name.

Well actually, I did find one https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php?tab=5
But when I put in a type and a color in the advanced search (second link) it popped up this message:

SITE GUEST ALERT
You have selected multiple search criteria. Sorry, but non-premium membership members are limited to single criteria searches.
Premium membership members or advanced searches for gold level sponsor listings are allowed multiple criteria searches.
Please reduce the number of criteria selected.

Since a single criterion search would be totally useless, they are saying you have to pay to use their database.

imafan26
Mod

Here is another rose guide you can try it is based on color. Your rose looks like a grandiflora. Grandiflora have flowers that are like hybrid teas born singly but sometimes in small clusters. They are usually taller than most hybrid teas so over 6 ft tall and produce more blooms at one time.

It is sometimes hard to id a rose strictly by color since there will be some variation in tone depending on the stage of the bloom and the sun exposure. Also consider the description, petal count, size of the bloom and fragrance even if the color is not a perfect match.

Your rose reminds me of Queen Elizabeth.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =7&t=71789

Sandy888

Thanks so much for trying to help. Yes, I agree, almost impossible task lol, but I thought I can not loose anything by asking ; ). My biggest hope was that somebody has it in his/her garden and would recognize it, since I can easily spot "my roses" (ones that I grew for years ) in other people's gardens and catalogs. I tried some search engines and I came to 3 most probable matches but did not want to influence anybody ease's opinion : ). So far this rose had 15 buds, all single. Perhaps that one victorious bud that sprout to 7' is just desperately trying to find some light *hmmm, and rose would otherwise be about 5.5' to 6' ? Anyhow, one of the matches was Queen Elizabeth ; ) !!! Amazing rose, even if it is not a true match : ))) ! Maybe I can just go with that ha ha, and order next spring at least one Queen Elizabeth ; )
Once again - THANK YOU BOTH for finding time to help me : )

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

ummm... imafan? "Here is another rose guide you can try it is based on color. " Here, where? :?:

Also, Sandy, you said you tried some search engines. Since I couldn't find any operating, would you share links? Or do you just mean things like doing a Google image search?

Sandy888

Hi Rainbowgardener : ),
Yes, I used even Google image search lol, but I first tried to narrow down number of contenders. I tried all kind of combos of search words , like "tall hybrid tea rose strong fragrance" etc, and looked through results that came in many forms (as rose distributors, blogs, even "helpmefind" mentioned above, etc.) and also for example this cute link that was actually pretty helpful : ). https://www.flowerpower.com.au/gardening ... fect-rose/ Yes, there are many pink roses but not many are this tall, with flowers 5-6" in diameter and especially not many are THIS fragrant : ))) !!! I can not stress enough that fragrance is so strong and constant ! It does not fade even on a rainy or cold day, or at the end of day or even when flower is spent O_O ! I plucked one rose that was reaching "the end" to count the petals ( there were 25 BTW) and spread them on paper towel in my kitchen (yesterday) and they are still fragrant today O-0 , I guess I spend more time smelling and admiring this rose than with my family lately ahahahhaaaa ! Oh well, WHO can compare to a rose XP , lol .

PaulZ
Newly Registered

Judging by the foliage my guess is "New Zealand" or; Is it possible you got a "Lloyd Center Supreme" from here in Portland?

Return to “Rose Forum”