Panhandle
Newly Registered

Rose ID

IMG_1881.JPG
Hi- I would love help identifying this climbing rose I pass daily. It has a wonderful scent and is very hardy here in San Francisco.

imafan26
Mod

It is an old English rose. They have strong old world rose scents. I had Gertrude Jekyll until last year.

I think it maybe Constance Spry.
https://www.davidaustinroses.com/us/cons ... mbing-rose

Panhandle
Newly Registered

IMG_1882.JPG
Thanks for getting back to me. The color is right but the flower is actually small about 2-3inches across. The thing that is different about it is the clump of blooms all together. Maybe you can see from this picture? I thought it was a Cecile Brunner but the Cecile does not have the clumps of buds.

imafan26
Mod

Cecille brunner is a cross between a polyantha rose (rosa multiflora) and a hybrid tea. It is probably a hybrid. There are many to choose from. It is a popular rose and the climbing Cecille Brunner is a small rose with most of the thorns at the base of the plant. It can bloom in clusters so it is a possibility.

Cecile Brunner, Climbing. Climbing Polyantha. (1894) 15-20 feet. Intermittent bloom.
The charming "sweatheart rose" which is especially fine in climbing form. A mass of bloom in the spring (We have a plant here that is climbing into a redwood tree-it will climb almost any kind if given the chance!) continuing through the summer with always some bloom on the plant. Perfect pink buds open to 1 1/2 inch double reflexed flowers, borne in loose clusters where each bloom has a good stem. Vigorous. . . needs room to be at its best.

You can try this search tool to see if you can get a better match.
https://www.rosefile.com/RosePages/byColor.html

Panhandle
Newly Registered

Thanks so much!

Return to “Rose Forum”