Davefromphilly
Newly Registered

New to Roses. Are these tree's done for? Please Help

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to flower gardening. I've always grown vegetables but purchased a town house last year and inherited an amazing flower garden out back that runs down the left and right of my patio, full of perennials. Clematis that climb up trellises covering the "privacy fence" on each side, tiger lilly's, hastas, different flowers at heights, each blooming at a different time of the spring/summer....This guy really knew what he was doing and he was good.

Last summer it looked absolutely stunning. We moved in early June and when I asked what I had to do for upkeep the guy said "you don't have to do anything, they'll just keep coming back better each year".

Well what I didn't know is that I did have to do something with his/now my awesome rose tree's that flank the front of each side of my patio. I just went out to prune them last night after watching some videos, and what I found were what look to be black spots (although they're more reddish brown) EVERYWHERE... Literally every green stem has them. They do, however, have some new green nodes. Are these tree's done for? Do I have to start over? Can I salvage them? Or is this normal looking?
Attachments
IMG_6195.JPG
IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6193.JPG

Sandy888

*UGHHHHH , they do not look happy : (((. Where are you located ? There is a lot of dead (brown) tiny branches and new buds look yellow too : ( Roses were exposed to some major stress - late frost ? Drought ? Standing water ? OR somebody too liberally
sprayed for weeds ? Roses are very resilient creatures , so if you have patience give them a chance to recuperate but you have to cut all of dead wood and than see if the shape of what is left is at all pleasing to the eye. Sometimes we need to start from the beginning and that is OK too . Best of luck

imafan26
Mod

Roses are heavy feeders and should be fed now that they are breaking. They should be pruned and fed after each bloom cycle and cut back once a year to renew them. How much you trim depends on the type of rose they are. They should be on a regular fungicide program whenever the weather is wet or humid.

Sandy888

PS: Please if you start from the beginning remove that wooden plank (border) and give your rose some space to develop nice root system and have nice air circulation. Remove those stones (pebbles) if they go more than 2 inches deep into the soil also. When you remove the rose check root system for rot and/or other damage and check if rose was actually planted correctly to begin with. Sometimes sellers just plop new plants in the ground for a quick sale and than plants die-off slowly over time.

And yes, as Moderator said, NO plant "just flourishes" without any care. Roses love occasional fertilizer application and some spraying depending of the climate and type of the rose, although one can find "forgotten" roses on graveyards, foreclosed homes, by roadsides , etc. that are gloriously happy. I personally fertilize only twice a year (spring and mid summer) and spray only when needed and was always having roses to die for : ))) ! BUT, I also avoid varieties that are susceptible to diseases ; )

Return to “Rose Forum”