Shay.3
Newly Registered

I need to know if I can grow roses where I live.

I live on the Olympic Peninsula in the state of Washington. The town I live in rains 6-4 days every week. I really would love to plant roses this summer, I just want to know if roses could survive this constant rainy weather. Thank you much!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Roses grow in Washington well. In fact; they grow well almost anywhere! Haha. How much sun do you get? Where where you planning on planting the rose (pot, under some cover, etc). And does it rain that often in the summer too?

imafan26
Mod

There is a rose grower in Spokane and Some others in Oregon
Heritage roses in St. Paul
Oregon Roses in Forest Grove
Northland rosarium in Spokane opens April 12, 9-5

Portland also a wet city and it is a good place to grow roses.
It would be best to select roses that are best suited for your climate and to learn more about their care at a rose society.

Sandy888

Well - we all know that the most beautiful gardens are "English gardens" and that they are overflowing with amazing roses ; ). London has more rainy days than Oregon and Seattle, for example, so yes, IMHO you can grow roses : ))) ! I do not know though what type of soil you have and if your city is coastal or with lots of fog, salinity etc., but even than, with little extra effort, you will most probably be able to grow roses : )

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Portland has a similar, though maybe not quite as rainy, climate and here's what wiki says about Portland:

The city of Portland, Oregon is ideal for growing roses outdoors due to its location within the marine west coast climate region, its warm, dry summers and rainy but mild winters, and its heavy clay soils. Portland has been known as the City of Roses, or Rose City, since 1888

Return to “Rose Forum”