Burtonwells
Newly Registered

Reviving sick roses

It's mid summer in zone 8 and I have just inherited a sick new dawn rose. The leaves are pale with some rusty spots and the plant is very spindly. It was growing in a tub of potting soil and was seriously underwatered. I have replanted it in compost with a handful of bone meal and miracle grow rose food.

Any tips on reviving this rose?
New Dawn rose in its new home
New Dawn rose in its new home
Spots on new dawn leaves
Spots on new dawn leaves

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Maybe some time will help. You have made a lot of changes that should help it in the long run.

The pale color of the leaves could be iron chlorosis but I could not tell very clearly from the pictures as the leaves were far away. Normally with iron chlorosis, the leaf veins remain dark green but the rest of the leaf becomes light green or yellowish.

If you do not see signs of iron chlorosis, test the soil to see if it is now too wet. Too much water (and rain) forces the minerals out of reach of the roots. To correct this, I sometimes wait and do nothing; other times I supply some foliar feed like liquid seaweed to help. LS is a weak fertilizer that can be used directly on the leaves and is low nitrogen so it does not cause keep the rose in grow mode like high nitrogen ferts do. Useful for when this happens in the Fall.

Lastly, check for low nitrogen levels using a soil analysis kit for NPK. They are not terribly exact but you just want to find out if they detect low N levels. Nitrogen deficiency can cause pale green to yellow leaf colors (the leaf veins change and also turn pale green or pale yellows). Too much rain can temporarily cause this.

The red spots are probably a fungal infections called leaf spot or cercospora leaf spot. Try never doing any overhead watering to minimize this issue and throw away infected leaves in the trash when the plant goes dormant. Pick up plant debris regularly and throw it on the trash too.

Spindly growth may have been due to lack of sun so the plant stretches to reach for the sun; or blackspot infection that made the leaves fall down; or lack of water.

Since you planted it elsewhere, it should improve so give it some time. Don't go overboard with fertilizers and water deeply but not often. Keep some mulch thru the drip line so your waterings will keep the soil moist longer.

Burtonwells
Newly Registered

Thanks for your good advice!

Return to “Rose Forum”