Chyklytte
Newly Registered

Rose cane disease?

I am very new to rose gardening. This is a floribunda rose bush just planted this year. Can someone tell me if this is disease or a normal progression of rose growth. I am in Eastern North Carolina- very hot and humid. This rose bush gets full sun for 6-8 hours each day.
Attachments
image.jpeg

imafan26
Mod

Roses are beautiful plants but it wouldn't be a rose without a few thorns. Well actualy green roses don't have many thorns
.https://www.rose.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... n-Rose.pdf
Roses do require a lot of attention. Your rose may have rose canker which is a common problem.
They need to be fed and watered properly. They are heavy feeders and prone to a few pests, diseases, and viruses. That is why it is important to scout them regularly. Fungal diseases usally appear in humid wet conditions and are hard to control so it is better to have a regular fungicide preventive program. Or you can use Rose Care. This is not organic but it does control many of the pests and diseases that plague roses. It works for about 6-8 weeks. During this time I usually disbud my roses since I don't want to hurt bees or beneficial insects if I can. I disbud two days before I treat and continue to disbud for at least 12 weeks just to be sure the chemicals have gone. It is important for the health of the roses to make sure that you use very sharp clean tools. Sterilizing the blade with a torch will sterilize and prevent virus and disease transmission. Usually you want to sterilize between each plant and use alcohol after every cut. Make sure you prune your roses to a stem that is at least 1/4 inch thick and at a 5 leaf outward facing node. You want to prune your rose in a vase shape. Once a year, usually in the fall, you will probably need to do a hard pruning to the 5 strongest canes. Feed roses in the Spring and summere after each pruning. Roses only bloom on new wood usually in 6 week cycles. Prune off any damaged, crossing or injured wood. Prune it back far enough that you are clearly in healthy wood. I would flame the blade after each cut of a damaged section to make sure that you do not transfer any pathogen to another part of the plant. Although it is no longer recommended, I had problems with the canes dying back so I called Jackson and Perkins rose hotline years ago and they told me to use pruning paint on the cut ends. That was years ago but it works. It stopped the dieback. I spray some of the pruning paint into a paper cup and use a cotton swab to paint the cut end on the rose to seal the cut.
https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/ ... oblems.pdf

Return to “Rose Forum”