live free and garden

Alien foam underneath my rose bushes?

Hi all -

We are first time rose bush planters. The two we planted have had this weird yellow hard foam like substance show up underneath (see picture).

The first one had it about a month ago and I ignored it, but now no more petals have bloomed. The other (healthier) one now had it too - there are still some petals blooming, but a lot seem to be dying.

From what I've researched, it seems like it could be a fungal disease, but they are well spaced and have plenty of room. They do have mulch on top, so could need more air? I've also noticed holes that appear to be bug marks on some of the leaves, but haven't seen any actual bugs around.

Any thoughts on what it could be? We have had a significant lack of rain here in New England, but we've been trying to water them regularly (every 2-3 days)...
Rose Bush Disease.jpg

Peter1142
Green Thumb

That's slime mold. It won't hurt your plants. It is part of the ecosystem of your decaying mulch.

live free and garden

Interesting - thanks Peter!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Your new bushes are busy trying to grow new roots into foreign soil. They don't have time or energy to produce blooms. Next year they'll be more acclimated to their new home and will bloom better.

Return to “Rose Forum”