Lbarnes
Newly Registered

Pests

IMG_3706.JPG
Hi, I recently went out to trim my roses and just check on them and found these tiny bugs all over the new growth and buds. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?

Algida

Hi,
Rose aphids, I guess.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=697
Any insecticide recommended for aphids would do.
When spraying, I usually combine it with a fungicide. One for black spot or rust.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

aphids, definitely. But aphids are not deadly (it takes a lot of aphids to seriously damage a plant) and they are easy to control. No reason in the world to use poison on them and plenty of reason not to. The insecticide will also kill ladybugs and other beneficial insects, which would otherwise help control your aphid population.

Aphids are soft bodied and are susceptible to soapy water spray. You can get something like Safer's organic insecticidal soap, which has fatty acids to help it stick to what it is sprayed on. Or you can make your own soapy water spray. Just be sure you use actual soap, not detergent. (Dish "soap" like Dawn is actually detergent.) Detergent can burn your plants. You need something like Dr. Brunners, Murphy's Oil Soap, Ivory pure soap, etc. But the soapy water spray only works with direct contact with the insects. It has no residual effects. So it will have to be re-done every once in awhile when new aphids appear (the soap spray won't kill eggs).

Algida

You're right, rainbowgardener.
Thinking organic.
I gave up long time ago with my roses. So many pests and diseases, especially when lot of rains,

Lbarnes
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Algida wrote:You're right, rainbowgardener.
Thinking organic.
I gave up long time ago with my roses. So many pests and diseases, especially when lot of rains,

Yup. I gave up growing roses, because I wasn't willing to use all those -cides/ chemicals. But it just seems like all the vigor has been bred out of roses and they can't survive on their own.

Except of course the rosa multiflora, which will take over the neighborhood with no care what so ever. Too bad they can't cross some of that robust immunity back into the hybrid roses.

Return to “Rose Forum”