ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Lost one, so far

I have a collection of miniature roses in pots, some a few years old, and some from last year. They are in pots, not in the ground. Tried that before, too much winter die-off. They do well in pots as long as I can keep the local squirrels out of them. Some were kept over winter in the cool part of the basement, some in our barely above freezing shed. Most of them are coming back beautifully. However, it looks like I lost one. Not real sure what happened except I might have kept it in the grocery store pot too long before planting it in a bigger pot with decent soil. Now I have to wait for the others to bloom so I can see what color the dead one was.

They cost between $4 and $6 a plant at the grocery store. Not too bad for a bit of enjoyment.

Asica

Try putting plastic forks in the pots, it will keep squirrels away. They get poked and usually go away.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I thought they would have got poked by the roses, but apparently not enough to bother them.
Too bad hunting season is over. Squirrel tastes pretty good.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

What an interesting sight for someone that has not been told, ahead of time, why the plastic forks are there!!! :-() :eek: :-() :eek: :)

Post pictures of the various blooming shrubs later on. Might help me select some more. I gave up on larger roses due to Rose Rossette Disease being in the area (has not affected me yet; knock on wood) but am ok with adding some minis if the price just happens to be right.

Return to “Rose Forum”