Niacin
Newly Registered

Unexpected cut rose growth

Got this rose for my fiancé for V-day, thought it would be cool to keep it alive. Didn't expect it to live long let alone start to grow so it must be a pretty dang hearty flower. How do I get this thing to grow more? (Or at least keep it alive?)

P.s. I'm a noobie so hi everyone!
Attachments
_2.IMG_20160226_181920.jpg

applestar
Mod

I have to admit I haven't been successful growing roses from cuttings, though I have tried a few times. My problem has always been that they do grow new side shoots, but fail to grow roots and the shoots get moldy and turn black, OR even when they do grow roots and fairly healthy side shoots, I haven't been able to keep them alive long enough.

Next time I try, I'm going to follow the techniques described here in this thread
:arrow: Subject: Help with growing roses from cuttings?

It's hard to tell what variety this rose is, especially since its petals have been dyed with colored water. So it may not be the recommended easy-er to grow from cuttings variety. But you could try and see. However, hybrid teas are the typical cut flowers with the classic shape, and they are notorious for not being able to grow strong roots of their own that can support themselves (they are grafted to stronger rootstock as a standard practice)

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've grown them a couple times from cuttings but in soil. It may work, may not. Cut the stem back to where it's close to the old leaf, strip the old leaf off the stem, stick the stem in a mix of perlite, vermiculite, sand, and seed starting mix or coir fiber. I use a little sand, and about a 1 to 4 mix of vermiculite and coir fiber. Cover the top of the pot with a clear jar. Keep watered but when you get a lot of condensation inside the jar let the mix dry out some. It takes patience, a lot of patience. It will take about 6 months or so before the cutting grows a good root system, if it works. Stick the cutting into the soil up to the base of the little sprouted part.

The last ones I had started got dug out of the pot by a destructive squirrel. It killed several other miniature roses that my hubby had bought for me and I had carefully overwintered. 12 potted roses gone in the span of a few hours.

Return to “Rose Forum”