rrrbs29

roses, the leaves are turning brown

I sprayed a mite, fungus and a week later I am having my rose leaves turn brown. I also have a problem with spider webs on them.

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

Hello, Thanks for posting your question. I have a few questions so I can get a better idea of whats going on.

What part of the country do you live?
Are you near to a lake or pond?
Are you talking about brown spots in the middle of the leaves, or the entire leaf turning brown and dry?

Reason why I ask, is because in my neck of the woods SE Texas we are in stage 1 about to be in stage 2 drought, and they restirct how much we can water. Plus the intollerabale heat around her 96+ is working a number on my roses.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

What have you been fertilizing your roses with :?: You could be giving them to much fertilizer as well.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I suspect you have used an oil in the heat of the day and fried your plants...am I right?

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:I suspect you have used an oil in the heat of the day and fried your plants...am I right?

HG
That was my first guess too. It gets purdy hot in Cali.

rrrbs29

I live in central california. Water usage isn't a problem on this place. we are on well water. AH, I think I may have used a product that had neem oil in it in mid morning. I took a sample of the rose leaf in to Orchard and he said it was rust. He said for me to use the 3 in one product that I used before. It seems to be helping. I also found a web site that suggested over head watering of my roses and water them alot. (wich I don't water enough I suspect) . I think I do have a fungus one them, some sort of spider mite and now this rust on the leaves. The product the guy said to use will take care of it. It is fungicide 3 by schults. They are perking back up! I USED TO have afids, but the product took care of that too, plus my controlling ants and trying to get rid of those critters naturally has been helpful. (if you have ants you will get afids. How ever you spell that) MY daughter usually fertalizes with a mircle grow rose ferterlizer which she dilutes in water. (when she feels like it haha and that isn't very often. Maybe twice this year so far.) If you have any more ideas please let me know! And thanks! I won't be applying anything in this infernal heat anymore! I will wait until the sun goes down in the evening to apply product.[/u]

Grey
Greener Thumb

It all sounds excellent, except one little thing: not so sure about the overhead watering, at least not after noon. Roses are succeptible to black spot pretty bad, and wet leaves are a great way to get them. Mornings are fine, there's time for the water to dry off the leaves. If it's after noon, I water mine by the ground.

Roses love water but they hate wet feet. I take this to mean they don't do well in clay, which is always holding moisture.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I agree, I never water my roses overhead. I water with drip hoses, and never have problem with blackspot, mildew or rust. Also, it's the aphids that bring the ants! Spray the aphids with insecticidal soap and you should get rid of both.
Also adding natural nutrients to your soil will make your roses stronger, and more able to withstand these problems. I dig all my banana peels (at least one a day) fish remains, compost under my roses all the time. I also water them is a rose tea made of alfalfa pellets and epsom salts brewed for two weeks. They also get lots of compost, kelp, and manure every spring. In the fall, when mounding the soil for winter, I use compost instead of soil around each rose.
I have very little problem with any pests or diseases, other than thrips ( pesky things!). My collection of over seventy roses have been growing here in northern BC for over 18 years, and I learn new tricks all the time.
Keep looking for answers and reading about roses, cause there is always something new to try!
Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Grey and Gramps are spot on. Overhead watering is NOT a good idea...

HG

Return to “Rose Forum”