imafan26
Mod

Help me choose a replacement rose for the tropics.

My Gertrude Jekyll rose has bitten the dust. I had it over 15 years. Now, I have room in my garden for one more rose.
The last new rose I got was Robert Strauss, definitely had a problem with blackspot and did not survive a year.
This is my list of requirements
I need a rose that has glossy green leaves.
It needs to have good resistance to mildew and moderate resistance to black spot.
High petal count and good bud form. 35 or more petals
Height 4-6 ft.
I prefer hybrid teas and grandifloras but the roses must hold well upright, I do not like weak necks like Tropicana.
Fragrance desired.
Floribunda is ok if clusters of three or less, fragrant and over 4 ft tall. bloom size at least 3.5 inches.
Color: not particular. I have mostly reds and pinks
The roses I have are red simplicity, red cascade, Baby blanket, Queen Elizabeth, Proud land, and Mr. Lincoln. Some of these roses have been in the garden and are 15-20 years old. Mr. Lincoln is a new rose about 2 years old but I have had it in the garden before.
My conditions are Hawaii zone 12 a. There is a street light so I have no problems with rose beetles. I do have a problem with humidity in the rainy season and have to use preventive fungicides during that time and roses with glossy green leaves perform much better than matte leaves. I try not to use systemics to save the bees but I will use short term systemics like systemic rose care if it rains continously for weeks and disbud.
Roses are spaced 2-3 ft apart and they get good air circulation.
Peach scale is a constant problem and they are immune to chemicals so I scrub them off with soap water and a brush.
Temperature ranges from the high 40's on very cold nights up to nearly 100 in August. Colors fade in the heat, but that is ok. that is why I avoid most deep yellows. But, I do like continuous repeat bloom.
Roses are underplanted. They were underplanted with cuphea but I am going to switch to something different. Alyssum.
Gladiolus bulbs are planted between the roses and they pop up on their own. They have naturalized since 1991 and I have added new bulbs once in a while over the years to add different colors. I also have geraniums. They bloom more often than the roses so they give more consistant colors but they do get 18 inches tall or more and that is why I like taller roses.

Roses I have had before and have done well:
First Prize
Pristine
Chrysler Imperial
Summer fashion
Double Delight
Peace
Chicago Peace
Iceberg did o.k., I just did not like the small flowers and the weak branches.
Gertrude Jekyll- I had this rose over 15 years. It was a stingy bloomer and seasonal, but when it bloomed it was so very fragrant. and it was one of my tallest roses wanting to be 6-8 ft all the time.
I don't want another climber. I have red cascade and it is rambling all over by back yard just fine without any help and is not bothered by much of anything.

Roses that I have had before that did poorly
Sterling silver( less than 3 years)
Robert Strauss less than one year. Too much black spot
New day- I neglected. petals not self cleaning.
Sunsprite- did ok for a couple of years. The rose was too short and had problems competing with the ground cover under the roses.
John F. Kennedy- did o.k. for about 2-3 years.
Snowfire- Loved the rose, can't find it now.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Here I have to worry about them surviving the winter, not a continual summer. I've got a couple Morden roses which are fabulous when in bloom but don't have a lot of petals.

I love Peace but after losing 2 of them I never tried again.

I found this list of highly scented roses:
https://gardening.about.com/od/rose1/tp/ ... tRoses.htm
Only a couple of them would tolerate winter here. Elle, which sounds wonderful, wouldn't stand a chance here.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the list
Actually Peace lived for a few years until it rained a lot and the runoff from the roof fell right on top of peace.

Double delight, I have had before and it did well. I might try that one again. I think I still see it being offered.

Someone suggested Neil Diamond a newer rose. Have you heard of it? The other problem will be finding a company that ships to Hawaii.

applestar
Mod

Only rose that is still surviving in my garden despite years of neglect is Abraham Darby, another David Austin rose. Apricot color, very fragrant.

I don't think of it as a climber but this one also stands upright on its own and grows up to the eave of the first story roof above it though.

There may be other highly disease resistant and fragrant cultivar in their line up that meets your criteria?

@marlingardener, *I* might look into getting Dark Lady 8)

imafan26
Mod

Gertrude Jekyll was also a David Austin rose. Dark Lady sounds nice but it may be too wide for the space and it is a border bed so no climbers. I have a couple of ramblers in my back yard already. I checked it out, unless I can find a dealer that ships Dark Lady is only offered by David Austin. I will it in mind. I have seen Abraham Darby before . I will ask the rose society if anyone has any.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Hmm. Maybe you could try Eden Climber or Kardinal. Kardinal is pretty resistant to blackspot. Eden Climber is two toned, and pretty robust.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks rose bloom but I want a tall rose 5-6 ft tall but not a climber 8 ft is still o.k. but it is in an open bed so it has to be contained and the other roses are tea roses so nothing that will be wide either. I have a rambler red cascade and it is all accross my back yard. I have a gardenia one one side, a hibiscus in the back and a smaller gardenia and another rose on the other side so everybody needs to stay in their place.

Return to “Rose Forum”