Bambichik39
Newly Registered

Rose bush looks terrible

Hello, I live down in Summerville,SC and recently moved into a new (to me) home. The previous owners had two rose plants out front- both of which don't look too healthy. The smaller one has bloomed a few times small red roses and the bigger dead wood looking one has bloomed single pink roses. What can I do to help these guys fill out properly and grow? Please help- I really don't want to rip them out to put in new. I'm sorry I don't know what kind either are
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Actuallly it is a good time now in the South to prune the roses. cut out the dead wood and keep about 5 of the strongest canes. You want to cut just above and out facing bud so the roses grow in a vase shape. Roses are heavy feeders and should be fed regularly. My roses will grow year round in zone 12a so I have blooms at Christmas. I just have to decide to just cut them. At this time of the year I will cut them down to about 8-12 inches. I just cut back Mr. Lincoln the other day and I tried again to make cuttings.

Some of the roses that I took transplanted from cuttings are not looking so good now. I will have to see how many of them survive. I might try rooting them in single pots instead of a community pot so I don't have to transplant and see if that helps. Since I have to cut back the roses anyway, I have a lot of cuttings to experiment with.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Prune out the dead wood and mulch them with bark mulch.

imafan26
Mod

In Hawaii, without frost, I usually cut the roses in January. I have to cut the tall canes down anyway or the growth will just be spindly. January is a good time to do it because it is when we have the most rain. I have less disease problems if the roses are opened up and cutting the canes lower will give me stronger growth. I do use pruning paint on my cuts because I had a problem with dieback and it was recommended by the J&P rose hotline. I have a lot less problems with dieback now. It also helps to make sure the tools are clean and sharp.

Asica

I just want to add that banana skin is great for roses as a fertilizer.

Bambichik39
Newly Registered

Thank you for all of the input- I pruned both of them. Does this prune job look alright? It's just so awkwardly shaped... I hope it fills in and blooms beautifully
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

right side is a little tall. you want the bush to be as symmetrical as possible or it will grow out lopsided. Make sure you make clean cuts about 1/4 inch above an outward facing node. I zoomed the picture but it did was not focused enough to see how the cuts were made.

Bambichik39
Newly Registered

I'll have to buy some better pruners- it's really thick to get any more off. Looks like I got a weekend chore! Thanks everyone for the input. I'm not sure what a node is but I'll google it and try to figure it all out

imafan26
Mod

I would get loppers for branches over 1/2 inch thick. It is easier to cut with and even the 3/4 inch pruners have less leverage than loppers.

Bambichik39
Newly Registered

I thought I'd post an update. I took your advice and pruned them back. Here they are now- the big ones still odd shaped but it's coming back. The smaller one still looks sticky but also has some new growth. I put some jobes rose stakes down around them- hope that does the trick for big healthy blooms this coming season. Also the big one has mossy looking stuff growing in it... Is that a concern? (White stuff is egg shells- my grandma use to always do this to her roses so figured it was worth a shot)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It looks like lichen. It means it is in a very moist area. Make sure you don't over water and you may have to fungicide the roses monthly. If it rains a lot that is all you can do and make sure it is well drained. It looks like it is coming back well. make sure the growth is coming from above the bud union or you will be getting canes from the rootstock. Jobes sticks will work, but you will need to feed the roses after every bloom cycle and the sticks are expensive for the fertilizer you get. There are formulations of rose food which would probably be better in the long run. I use a slow release fertilizer called osmocote. It will give the rose a slow feed for 6 months. I do that since I am not always prompt in feeding my roses so it is a supplement to the rose food and not a replacement for it.

Return to “Rose Forum”